fridge and condensation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Powell

Reaction score
Hey, not sure this is the right place to ask the question but here goes. I recently made a kegerator out of an old fridge that was running fine. Every thing seemed to be going well for the past 6 months then all of sudden it is building up a ton of condensation...I am assuming this means the fridge for some reason is not air tight anymore. I removed the panel on the door and used plexi glass to cover the insulation. Thinking it is to thick so I removed it. Still condensation. Any help would be appreciated.

Not sure what might be causing it, maybe it's because it's summer? Anyway, "damp rid" is a product that absorbs moisture pretty well. You can get it at target, etc. Try it....maybe that'll help.

It is my opinion that the only way you can have condensation is when warm air meets cold air. It is dead air space (meaning air that cannot move) that insulates.

One way to create a dead air space is to have two sealed surfaces with a space between them.

That is how double pane windows work. both panes are sealed with a space between them. You can create that same effect with a sheet of plastic surrounding all sides and edges of something like Styrofoam. You can then cover that with any material you wish

Hope this helps:tank:

I know what you're sayin'.....the best you can do (the best I can think of) is take a piece of paper and put it in the doorway. Check to see if it is easy to move or not. Did you visually inspect the seal? My freezer kind of has a bit of condensation at times.....but as long as it cools effectively...managing condensation is minor. Just use the damp rid....maybe towel off the sides just to prevent rust....

yea I checked the seal appears to be ok. Can't find any obvious gaps. Going to purchase some FRP panelling to place between door and seal to replace the original stuff that was on the door. Maybe that will give a little more insulating effect between styrofoam insulation and inside where its cold. Other than that the unit cools well.

Back