Keg With Existing Hole?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwest

Reaction score
In my search for a keggle candidate I found one with one problem: there's already a sizeable hole in the side, about half-way up and 1.5 inches in diameter. Should I offer the guy a couple of bucks and have the welder patch it when he does the bulkhead, or should I just keep looking for another keg?

Thanks for any input...

hard to say. How easy is it for you to get kegs? If it's easy, I'd say keep looking.

ScubaSteve said:
hard to say. How easy is it for you to get kegs? If it's easy, I'd say keep looking.

Not sure how easy it is at my current price point... The problem is that I'm feeling cheap these days... already spent a lot on other gear. But a bigger boil vessel would really tie it all together nicely.

Thing about kegs is that they'll last forever. You want to do it right, or not at all, because you'll end up having to start over and end up spending more $$$ in the long run. If that hole is too wide (sounds like it is) your welder may have problems welding that ferrule into the keg. You may also end up with a leaky keg, which would totally be a waste. The stainless in kegs is thin, and from what I understand it can be difficult to weld. Sometimes you get what you pay for....but I'd talk to your welder (or people who can weld on this board, like YURI) and see what he can do

Back