Sanke Kegs for home brew?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mk0312

Reaction score
I recently returned home from Iraq with the military and decided I wanted to start home brewing. I've brewed 2 beers and now am ready to start getting a little more creative. I recently bought 2 sanke kegs, not realizing that most homebrewers use the corny kegs. Anyone have thoughts on using sanke kegs for homebrew?

I recently returned home from Iraq with the military and decided I wanted to start home brewing. I've brewed 2 beers and now am ready to start getting a little more creative. I recently bought 2 sanke kegs, not realizing that most homebrewers use the corny kegs. Anyone have thoughts on using sanke kegs for homebrew?

Welcome home and thanks for your service!

I use sanke kegs and they work very well. Removal and installation of the spear is tricky but w/ a little practice it is a snap. The 1/4 keg 7.75 gal is a nice batch size as well.

Link for snap ring install tip https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/installing-retaining-ring-sanke-keg-64128/

I also like the sanke coupler, less prone to gas and beer leaks IMHO. Some prefer cornie kegs w/ the larger top opening, but cleaning the sanke kegs has not been a problem IMHO.

If you cut a roughly 9 inch hole in the top of a Sanke, it makes a killer boil kettle or fermenter. Perfect if you want to get into 10 gallon batches.

Exbeerienced said:
If you cut a roughly 9 inch hole in the top of a Sanke, it makes a killer boil kettle or fermenter. Perfect if you want to get into 10 gallon batches.

I agree! Converting into a kettle is a magnificent thing! I just had 3 keggles made myself. You can really trick them out, with drainage ports, false bottoms, sight glasses, thermometers, everything. If you have them now, and you have someone who can weld couplings in, you'll be in great shape. I promise you, if this is a hobby you're going to want to get into, down the line you WILL want a whole brew system. Here's some pics of the keggles I made.

image-1501512222.jpg

image-3838626541.jpg

image-1538762865.jpg

Back