Shelf Life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DraconianHand

nudge, nudge, wink, wink
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone know if any of these should be pitched if older than 2 years? I just picked up a bunch of stuff off of CL and the guy indicated that he had not brewed for at least 2 years.

• Irish Moss
  • Whirlfoc
  • Divergan F
  • Oak Chips
  • Safale S-04
I don't know how it was stored, but it has been shipped from Singapore to the US.

The only thing on the list I would be concerned with is the yeast.
Safale packages should be stamped with an expiration date. It would probably work after that date, but it's cheap enough that I would probably just replace it.

I don't know much about the Divergan F, but I would imagine everything else would be just fine. Maybe the Salafale, but dry yeast is pretty resilient.

Barley-Davidson said:
...but it's cheap enough that I would probably just replace it.

Actually, in looking over the list, all of the items seem to fall into that category. I guess I have a hard time getting rid of something that still might be useful.

You're right, no high ticket stuff there, but the yeast is the only thing that could "die".
You could rehydrate and proof to test for viability, just have a backup handy.

Back