Stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mendozer

Reaction score
My fermentation has stopped at 1.018, but i expect it to drop to about 1.008. I gave it a stir but nothing happened. I saved some "stuff" from the bottom of my last brew's bucket. Should I throw that in there?

I kept it in the fridge this whole time, so i guess the yeast is still preserved

What kind of beer is it that's stuck and what kind of yeast and type of beer was your last batch? Did you wash the yeast or just save some of the cake as is? Also, what temp has the current one been fermenting at?

current beers a summer ale. the cake was from a belgian wit. i used california ale yeast this time fermenting at 68-72. the belgian wit has a similar temp range. I didn't wash anything, just scooped it out in case I needed it.

I would be concerned about the Wit yeast imparting banana ester flavors at those fermentation temps, yeah? But maybe not totally undesirable in a summer ale.....?

well according to beersmith calcs, thats a 2.86% ABV. i guess ill taste it

well according to beersmith calcs, thats a 2.86% ABV. i guess ill taste it

Yes, if you started at 1.040 or so, it's less than 3% ABV. The attenuation of the yeast depends on so many things, like the fermentability of the ingredients. If you used ingredients that weren't all that fermentable, even with a attenuative yeast strain, it won't finish all that low. WLP001 usually finishes up quite well, so I'm wondering about your ingredients.

well i used light extract (liquid) and small amounts of flaked wheat and crystal 10L. My last batch was also weak, however I didn't mash correctly (my fault). There's only one homebrew store here on Oahu so I assume the grain/extract turnover is good.

well, whats the worst that could happen adding the cake from my last batch? besides other flavors.

Well if i act fast, i could limit oxidation. i didnt have any banana flavors in my wit so maybe it won't contribute to my current ale. as for if the cake is even alive i have no idea. I'll pitch it in and right now my beers at 64 so i should be ok on temp

I pitched it and nothing happened. So in true homebrewer fashion I said "screw it" and bottled it today with an FG of 1.016

Back