Homebrew Competitions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonvolt

Reaction score
I have never entered a homebrew competition. I recently found that there is a competition in Moline, Illinois, on November 18th of this year. Obviously, it is a bit too late to do any beers of substantial alcohol in time for competition (although a mild might be do-able).

The hosts of the competition have yet to post any information about it, so I cannot consult their website, etc.

Here is my question - what is the regular process for entering beers into competition?

I assume that you send a recipe along with some samples, etc. How many beers to competitions usually require.

I ask because I have some beers that I have been saving that are really tasting good. For instance, I think that this Belgian I have would win something, but I only have three bottles left. Is this enough to enter a competition with?

Generally there is a fee, a form, a bottle label form, and 3 or so samples (sometimes 2) The real trick is categorization. Just because you meant to make a pale ale doesn't mean that is what you ended up creating. Have some friends taste it and help give you their thoughts.

Brewpastor said:
Generally there is a fee, a form, a bottle label form, and 3 or so samples (sometimes 2) The real trick is categorization. Just because you meant to make a pale ale doesn't mean that is what you ended up creating. Have some friends taste it and help give you their thoughts.

BP nailed it. Usually no more than 3 bottles per competition. Sometimes more if their is more than one round of judging, like the nationals for the National Homebrewing Competition.

Yes, category is also key. Some peoples idea of a pale ale might be a bitter in others opinion. The last competition I was at, I learned a lot about that. I was stewarding at the IPA table and all the judges kept asking "where are the hops?", which meant some of those beers could be entered in another category. We had some beers that were outstanding, but didn't get judged well because they didnt' fit the style, but would have been perfect in another category.

www.bjcp.org will have plenty of info on this.

Competitions are almost always judged to BJCP styles. "Substantial alcohol", oddly enough, is not a style. You just might have something that matches a style sitting in the fridge. The bottles have to be plain & unmarked, which could be a problem if you already have everything bottled in re-cycled bottles.

There is additional info on the BJCP.org site. I would be very surprised if they don't judge to the BJCP. I'm not a big fan of BJCP or competitions in general, but if you find that aspect of homebrewing interesting, enjoy!

Tell them to get with the program!
http://www.bjcp.org/apps/comp_schedule/competition_schedule.php

(There's a hot dog, BJCP certified guy locally that thought my Revenge Blackberry cider was a Merlot!)

Also, don't get too worked up about the results, unless you win something. Judges are not always good at what they do (I should know, I have been one for 15 or so years.

Brewpastor said:
Also, don't get too worked up about the results, unless you win something. Judges are not always good at what they do (I should know, I have been one for 15 or so years.

I agree. I will enter one more competition in my homebrewing "career", and that will be to defend the Dominion Cup competition that I won in June. I feel it is something I should probably do.

However, Competitions IMHO, are total crap. 2 judges can taste the same beer and come with 180° different results, and then "talk" each other into erasing their form and/or changing a score. It is complete BS. Want an example? My Lake Walk Pale Ale entry that made it to the second round at the NHBC, one guy had a 38 erased to a 35, the other judge with NO BJCP experience marked it a 33 because he tasted slight oxidation. The other judge who originally score it a 38 never even hinted at it. Its CRAP.

But that is just MY opinion. As I've said many times before--I'd MUCH rather have my buddies come over and say "that tastes awesome" vs. some beer nerd detecting some phantom off-flavor.

:p

My beer aficionado (sp) brothers loved my brew, and one of them used to brew a lot. My non brewing friends loved my brew, including one who is a micro freak. My brewing friends like my brew, and I theirs. I am by far not even close to being a real experienced brewer, but that is enough for me.

Is that a M.U.G.Z competition? They are usually "members only".

I won Best of Show and Best of Style (German-style Hefe Weizen) back in '97. I got to brew 250 gals at the Blue Cat Brewery as my "prize". Great experience.

I also held my "going away party" there and got 5 gals of the brew to take with me. I was transferred to Germany after NC.

I've been back from Germany for 2 1/2 years now and have yet to run into any of those guys.

It goes without saying that I'm also not a member.

EDIT: I just came from the mugz.org site and they are having a THIRSTY comp in Amana at the Millstream Brewing Co. on 4 Nov.

homebrewer_99 said:
Is that a M.U.G.Z competition? They are usually "members only".

Yep . . . MUGZ. I thought that their THIRSTY competition was the members only. The winner of the other competition last year was from Chicago, so I doubt he was a member of MUGZ

homebrewer_99 said:
Where do you live in IA? I work at Rock Island. I live 30 miles east toward Chicago on I-80.

I live in Washington, Illinois. It is about 15 minutes out of Peoria.

sonvolt said:
I live in Washington, Illinois. It is about 15 minutes out of Peoria.
Oops! I thought you were from IA? My bad. I live between Geneseo and Kewanee.

Are you doing anything with this "Teach a Friend How to Homebrew" on 4 Nov?

I am...already have the email invites out. Statistically, chances are less than 1/2 will show up.

If you're not doing anything come on over. Bring the wife and kids...I have 2 acres to run around in...and a dog kennel if needed.

homebrewer_99 said:
Oops! I thought you were from IA? My bad. I live between Geneseo and Kewanee.

Are you doing anything with this "Teach a Friend How to Homebrew" on 4 Nov?

I am...already have the email invites out. Statistically, chances are less than 1/2 will show up.

If you're not doing anything come on over. Bring the wife and kids...I have 2 acres to run around in...and a dog kennel if needed.

That sounds fun. PM me your address. I will let you know if I am coming.

Back