Coffee Grinder??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meatball358

Reaction score
Ok please pardon me if this is a stupid/noobish question...but would it be a bad idea to use a coffee grinder to break up grains? Im not thinking about turning them into a complete powder mixture by over grinding, but just maybe giving them a 2-5 second grind to break them up.... I figured it might save time but idk if it will overdo it or if there are any other repercussions that might follow...

Thnx in advance :mug:

If you're just doing steeping grains for an extract batch, that would work, if you were really careful not to pulverize it too much. If you're doing an AG, you'll probably burn out your grinder and get inconsistent results. If you have a homebrew shop nearby, they can grind it for you.

Yea I would be steeping them for an extract batch... Im gonna give myself a few more months to gain knowledge (and more $ lol) before i try an AG... The closest homebrew shop is an hour drive (Toms River) so I figured I would hear what you guys had to say about it first...Thnx for your input :)

I read in Homebrewing for dummies this is a bad idea, drop them in a bag and take a rolling pin to them.

It's actually a pretty good book.

Rolling pin should be okay, but each roll or whack you take, say to yourself "get the LHBS to grind the grain":ban:

Have you been to the LHBS in Feasterville PA called "Wine, Barley, & Hops"? Probably the same distance to Tom's River form you though....nice store!

the grinder can be used in a pinch if you're careful (you'll still pulverize some of the grains but oh well)

but you should try using the rolling pin with the grain in a bag (alcohol bottles work nicely ;)) and see if that will work. I don't recall what type of grain i had but it was way too strong to use the rolling pin on.

Nope ive never been to that place in PA... maybe ill take a trip up there if this first initial rolling pin grinding is too much of a pain... but anyways it appears that the coffee grinder is out lol...when u guys say to put them in a bag what are you refferring to?? what kind of bag wont break open when you roll over it?

if it's only 1-2 pounds i used freezer bags and double bagged it... but never again, I always get them milled now.

if you get the lhbs to grind the grains for you, what's the shelf life??

if you get the lhbs to grind the grains for you, what's the shelf life??

They won't go bad anytime soon, but they'll lose a bit of freshness after, say, 2 weeks. I order my grains, pre-crushed, online, and try to brew within a week of getting the stuff.

the loss of freshness was a concern of mine as well...but if they will keep for at least a week ill just get them pre-crushed/milled next time...thnx to everyone for their input :mug:

Back