UPS.... You're stupid.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nova5

Reaction score
Package from AHS heads from Austin to Atlanta GA, then to Charlottle, NC... Hmm strange... NOW its in Greensboro, NC... IT SHOULD BE HEADED TO AUGUSTA, GA! Destination SHOWS properly So AHS did it right. Some monkey is stuck in Retard mode.

I've seen them do silly **** before to keep UPS ground from making it at the same time as their faster packages. You'd think they'd just delay it at a location instead of wasting fuel in this economy.

I've seen them do silly **** before to keep UPS ground from making it at the same time as their faster packages. You'd think they'd just delay it at a location instead of wasting fuel in this economy.

Do you really think they're driving around with only your package?

I'm sure a company that is trying to make a profit is trying to ship as efficiently for them as possible.....which may mean driving all over the country so they don't have to make a return trip to pick up your package...

I worked at UPS for 2+ years, and you would not believe the stupid stuff I've seen.

We had a guy working there who knocked a box off a conveyor belt which held human remains (for medical testing). We ended up with a preserved human head rolling onto the floor and scaring a bunch of people. I still remember a group of people running out of the area screaming and yelling.

To be honest though, I enjoyed my job there. It doesn't mean I trust UPS to ship my supplies though. :D

I'm sure a company that is trying to make a profit is trying to ship as efficiently for them as possible.....which may mean driving all over the country so they don't have to make a return trip to pick up your package...

I've rarely seen it take this type of route. Usually runs right through Augusta's UPS station. Its hardly economical to run it 8hrs north by truck when there is a normal truck route that has to run via I20 from Atlanta to Columbia at least. There are a few UPS locations on that route. I have seen packages go from Atlanta, to Columbia, back to Augusta then out for delivery. Thats why this Northern run is insane.

[ame]http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1945275[/ame]

It honestly seems like they do this to me where I live (apartment complex near college campus)

Exactly. Having worked for a UPS owned company which dealt with smaller (local retail) delivery and vehicle routing, I have a good understanding of what's up there.

Just because there's a UPS location near you, doesn't mean that your package will ever even go there. It depends on how many OTHER packages need to go to that location and if it's worth sending such a small load to that spot, or to just pack it along to another further away destination knowing that there's another truck waiting to take your package somewhere else.

They're doing what makes sense for them economically. Carrying a package around just to delay you makes no sense and costs them money. Getting your package to you faster (so long as it makes $$ sense to do so), makes them MORE money. Each time a loader has to "handle your package", it costs $$. Lots of $$ considering it's a union job who's "negotiated" the difficult task of moving a box from inside a truck to a conveyor belt to be worth more than a teacher's salary.

Exactly. Having worked for a UPS owned company which dealt with smaller (local retail) delivery and vehicle routing, I have a good understanding of what's up there.

Just because there's a UPS location near you, doesn't mean that your package will ever even go there. It depends on how many OTHER packages need to go to that location and if it's worth sending such a small load to that spot, or to just pack it along to another further away destination knowing that there's another truck waiting to take your package somewhere else.

They're doing what makes sense for them economically. Carrying a package around just to delay you makes no sense and costs them money. Getting your package to you faster (so long as it makes $$ sense to do so), makes them MORE money. Each time a loader has to "handle your package", it costs $$. Lots of $$ considering it's a union job who's "negotiated" the difficult task of moving a box from inside a truck to a conveyor belt to be worth more than a teacher's salary.

I guess the delivery men in my area don't understand the concept that if more people have to handle the package it costs the company more...or they just don't give a f**k. Multiple times I have come home on the day my package is supposed to be delivered and I have a sticker saying they tried to deliver it three times and I would have to drive 20 minutes away to pick it up if I ever wanted to obtain my package. There is no way they tried to deliver the package three times because it was the first day it was even in the city. I guess they are just too lazy to redeliver even though they will most definitely be back in my condo complex the next day anyways considering how many people live there.

Ironically, Forrest was complaining about service from FedEx not too terribly long ago.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/another-reason-i-dont-use-fed-ex-your-packages-144550/

My beef with Fed ex is that I paid extra for Saturday delivery to AHS. They lied and said they attempted to deliver but the store was closed. We are open everyday especially Saturdays, our busiest day.

The package will be delivered to you. At least UPS is being honest as to where the package really is.

Forrest

I dunno if this is common knowledge but FedEx drivers are sub-contractors, they own their own vehicles and have to pay to fuel them/maintain them. When you think about UPS vs FedEx in that perspective you can really understand the pros and cons of each business and how it affects you.

I dunno if this is common knowledge but FedEx drivers are sub-contractors, they own their own vehicles and have to pay to fuel them/maintain them. When you think about UPS vs FedEx in that perspective you can really understand the pros and cons of each business and how it affects you.

I did not know that that, but know it makes sense why a lot of times my fex-ex packages come in a Ryder or Penske rental truck.

BTW forrest, do you send this stuff Sig required or anything?

If we send packages signature required there is a fee. If we send it no signature required there is a fee. The driver decides if the neighborhood is sketchy or not.

If I send it no signature required it voids the $100 insurance if it were to be stolen.

Forrest

Package from AHS heads from Austin to Atlanta GA, then to Charlottle, NC... Hmm strange... NOW its in Greensboro, NC... IT SHOULD BE HEADED TO AUGUSTA, GA! Destination SHOWS properly So AHS did it right. Some monkey is stuck in Retard mode.

Next time, don't be so cheap. If you want you sh*t sooner, get 2 day or overnight shipping.

How is it a faster or cheap thing? He's telling us the package is heading in the wrong direction and out of state from the direction he lives.

That's how ground shipping works. Have you ever heard of taking a flight from New York to LA with a layover in say Atlanta? Same thing with UPS.

There was probably just a closed road or detour that would have made them have to turn left if they took it more directly to you. Left turns are horrible for efficiency. :fro:

Only FedEx ground drivers are subcontractors. It explains why FedEx Air service is sooo much better. I saw a UPS driver pull up to my gate with a clear 'call' button on a goose neck. Get out, slap a missed sticker on the gate and leave. Didn't press the call button, nothing. Oh yeah, the sticker said it was their 3rd attempt too. My service with FedEx Air has always been great. FedEx ground throws my package on some random doorstep in the neighborhood. Normally my neighbors call to tell me it's there and I go pick it up.

That's how ground shipping works. Have you ever heard of taking a flight from New York to LA with a layover in say Atlanta? Same thing with UPS.

Ok so once again how does the poster being upset that the ups truck was in state and then left the state for an 8 hour drive in the opposite direction have with them being cheap?

Ok so once again how does the poster being upset that the ups truck was in state and then left the state for an 8 hour drive in the opposite direction have with them being cheap?

I think it's time to drop it.

I think it's time to drop it.

footinmouth.jpg

I doubt they are driving around with your package on truck... it's probably on a train, and being routed differently than usual because there is so much crappy weather across the country screwing up their usual logistics.

As complicated as the whole system is, I think it's a miracle every time a package ships and shows up on my doorstep on time!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sgAq_KnDIPc" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>
No one is safe
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z1mhz1-biEY" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z1mhz1-biEY" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

FedEx GROUND, notice the branding on the truck. There is definitely a difference, like they are two different companies.

Does everyone actually think they handle packages like there's Swarovski Crystal in there?

I'm actually shocked when somethings not broken.

_

Does everyone actually think they handle packages like there's Swarovski Crystal in there?

I'm actually shocked when somethings not broken.

_

I'm shocked when I miss a connecting flight and my luggage doesn't. I managed to get a free round trip out of that one from Delta 4 years ago.

If we send packages signature required there is a fee. If we send it no signature required there is a fee. The driver decides if the neighborhood is sketchy or not.

If I send it no signature required it voids the $100 insurance if it were to be stolen.

Forrest

hmm.. they've never told me I had to put Sig Required on stuff I ship to get the $100 insurance. bastards.

So, just out of curiosity -
since you can track your package - what was the stated delivery day? Did they/will they make that date?

hmm.. they've never told me I had to put Sig Required on stuff I ship to get the $100 insurance. bastards.

No, no, no, If you say no signature required you are waiving the $100 insurance if it get stolen. If you say signature required or just don't do anything the insurance is in place.

By saying no sig, you are saying it is your responsibilty if it is stolen. The driver is given certain areas where they cant leave the package because it probably will get stolen.

Forrest

Makes sense with major airhubs, the thing is normally they run down I20 from ATL to AUG.
Here's the basic route they took. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Now 3-4 could have gone via 95 instead of a doubleback through 2.
route.png

No, no, no, If you say no signature required you are waiving the $100 insurance if it get stolen. If you say signature required or just don't do anything the insurance is in place.

By saying no sig, you are saying it is your responsibilty if it is stolen. The driver is given certain areas where they cant leave the package because it probably will get stolen.

Forrest

Ah, that makes sense then.

Makes sense with major airhubs, the thing is normally they run down I20 from ATL to AUG.
Here's the basic route they took. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Now 3-4 could have gone via 95 instead of a doubleback through 2.
route.png

Was it delivered and delivered on time? My shipment I paid extra for wasn't and they lied. Just sayin'

Forrest

Back