Beginning homebrew class

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikobrew

Reaction score
Hey all,

Im planning on hosting a beginning homebrewers class in the near future (probably after the new year). Nothing super formal but basically getting some small buckets where we can as a group boil a normal five gallon extract batch (maybe two depending in the size of the group) and divvying it up to come back to later to rack etc. There's a container wholesaler nearby that has buckets that seem to be the perfect size. I plan on keeping it pretty simple, going over the basics, and breaking up into smaller groups for different tasks. Probably only about five to eight people for the first one, and depending on how it goes growing it to larger groups. Has anybody here ever done anything like this, if so, how'd it go, and would you have any tips?

Thanks!

There have been a few other discussions on here about brewing classes, but I can't seem to find the threads at the moment. A search might turn up something for you....

I'll check there, sorry for posting a duplicate. I tried searching but apparently not very hard :p

I work in a lab at a local jr college

what got me started into brewing was the general bio 1406 class

started doing a fermentation lab making wine from fresh grapes

I say go for it

they are using swing top bottles

i ran them thru the autoclave along with the flasks to sterilize them

now trying to talk them into buying some star san

we can use that for the micro bio lab also

currently we use lysol in spray bottles for a sanatizer

If you can do this please do.

I went to a brew on premises (Do Your Brew Westminster, CO) to learn to brew. Similar process as you described, all extract. This was so much more valuable than just reading a book. I was able to ask lots of questions. I am not sure if I would have ever started brewing without this.

I took a class offered by my LHBS about 3 months ago. It was informative. I have been brewing for about a year and a half, and still learned a lot.
The first night, we brewed a partial mash, bottled it the second week, tried some of it the next week, and tried more of it the forth week. On the fifth week, we toured a microbrewry, and the sixth week we brewed an all grain beer. IN between all this, we talked about different types of beers, and what made them unique. Overall, I am glad I took the class.

Latest posts

Back