Best States to live and Brew in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Filter

Reaction score
i am thinking of moving out of the SouthEast and what would be the best state to live and brew in? i also like to Hunt and fish alot and i also have 2 young boys so schools is up there on the list
Thank Lenny

Im happy where I live in Michigan, but I wouldn't re-locate here because of the economy and taxes. My favorite state that Ive been to is Texas but I dont know what its like to live there though.

Im happy where I live in Michigan, but I wouldn't re-locate here because of the economy and taxes.

+1 on this....Unless you are in academics and can get a tenured teaching job at UofM or MSU or one of the other Universities, where you are gaurenteed a decently paying job in a place that won't close, there's no point in moving here...

Having said that, the state is beautiful, there's plenty of places to hunt and fish...to ski and snowmobile in the winter...and there is a favorable Brew Pub climate, with at least one in every major city. There are several microbreweries with Natl Recognition (like Bell's and Jolly Pumpkin.)

And there's a lot of homebrew shops and even liquor stores that sell homebrewing supplies...So yeah, if you are already here, Michigan roacks!!!

for people to give you better advise you should tell us what you do for a living, jobs can be very location dependent. after all you can order homebrew supplies online and take trips to go hunting/fishing, but not if you cant afford to pay for it.

I had to laugh when I saw this thread. I started a thread a few months ago about moving to the area you want to leave. BTW, I vote for somewhere in the Pacific NW or New England...

i lived in Wabasha County Minnesota for 14 years and i miss it, it is high on your list, I work For Honeywell, i do fire/Secuirty/Camera, controls and HVAC i can transfer any where as long there is an opening there
Lenny

I grew up right next door there in Olmsted county, definitely a good area to move to. Alot of jobs, schooling, low crime rates, etc. Rochester has just boomed in the last few years, It's a shock to see how everything has changed in such little time.

Wisconsin has a wonderful hunting and fishing tradition, and the schools have always been among the best in the country.

On the flip side, though, WI is a tax hell.

Mr. Stimey, we used to hang in rochester all the time, i realy miss a Bilottis pizza:mug: that has to be one of the best in town
Lenny

I'll say Ohio. Why?

Large German/beer drinking population, seems like every town of a certain size has a brew pub, Leeners is located here, Ohio Brew Week in Athens, Ohio, cold enough to brew lagers for half the year, Thirsty Dog Brewery, Great Lakes Brewery, Oktoberfest in German Village (Columbus) and there's probably more but I'll think of them later.

Buck the trend the though... The flat part of the state is boring, the Appalachian part of the state is beautiful (Hocking Hills for example). Plenty of places to hunt, fish, bike, hike, and just plain live in these hills here too.

I love Michigan too, and our taxes aren't bad when compared to other states.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_tax_levels

The Wikipedia numbers ignore local and property taxes. When you throw those in, Michigan looks a little worse (but still only slightly above the national average).
http://www.taxfoundation.org/news/show/335.html

Of course, the various tax responsibilites will vary so much by individual income and lifestyle that any of the state-to-state comparisons are rough guidelines, at best.

The Wikipedia numbers ignore local and property taxes. When you throw those in, Michigan looks a little worse (but still only slightly above the national average).
http://www.taxfoundation.org/news/show/335.html

Of course, the various tax responsibilites will vary so much by individual income and lifestyle that any of the state-to-state comparisons are rough guidelines, at best.

Good point with the additional info, I was just making a general point that Michigan's taxes aren't as outrageous as they are sometimes made out to be.

I love Minnesota its a very good state to live in for a variety of reasons. (The metro area is far too liberal though!)
- but since we can all order from Austin Homebrew does it really matter what state you live in.

I'm partial to Oregon, has everything you list, plus it's a coastal state with gorgeous beaches.

AND, I count over 100 breweries!

http://beerme.com/region.php?c=us&s=or

Agreed. I live near the Seattle area of WA and love it here. I grew up in the Eastern part of the state where it is much hotter and drier but the upland hunting is better. I would live in the Portland or Salem area if I moved there for work. What do you do and how do you want to live? Those should be on the top of your list.

You can't go too wrong with New England, although if you move to Vermont, you'll be a Flatlander for about five generations or so. If I were to pick up and move somewhere else in the country, it'd probably be to the PNW - but I'm in no rush to leave. Cost of living is pretty reasonable out here in the sticks.

Back