Bad News Brewery - Control Panel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at P-J's "power loop", is my thinking correct that if the 15a breaker were flipped off or tripped after power up, with all switches off except the power switch, that there would still be power to that whole circuit? Maybe that would never happen?

I'll try to start a build thread as soon as I start making progress... packages arrive daily :)

Thanks for the feedback!

Which diagram? Which post?

Hi P-J. Just trying to decide on a safe start method and was looking at "Auberin-wiring1-a11h-SYL-2352-5500w.jpg" you posted in this thread. I don't see a post # but it was 05-04-2014 08:18 AM. Thanks for any insights!
--tim

Looking at P-J's "power loop", is my thinking correct that if the 15a breaker were flipped off or tripped after power up, with all switches off except the power switch, that there would still be power to that whole circuit? Maybe that would never happen?

I'll try to start a build thread as soon as I start making progress... packages arrive daily :)

Thanks for the feedback!

Which diagram? Which post?

Hi P-J. Just trying to decide on a safe start method and was looking at "Auberin-wiring1-a11h-SYL-2352-5500w.jpg" you posted in this thread. I don't see a post # but it was 05-04-2014 08:18 AM. Thanks for any insights.

If the power is interupted with the 15A breaker for any reason, the entire system will power down as there would be no control circuits available.

Hope this makes sense and helps you.

P-J

I can see that if one of the switches 1 through 5 were on (NC contact was open) that it would shut down. But if 1-5 were all off, with the key switch on, wouldn't the contactor coil remain energized from Line 1 through the Safe Start circuit with the CB tripped? Thanks so much for your help and patience... I'm not an electrician and couldn't even play one on TV.

--tim

You are correct, if the breaker is off or tripped, and all the swithces are closed, then the circuit would be complete through all the NC blocks through the keyed switch. The moment you turned on any switch, however, the whole thing would die because there'd be no back-feed through the blown circuit breaker. So, from an electrical engineering mental exercise - you're right, it'd work. For reality - it wouldn't be of any value whatsoever.

Of course - if you have circuits tripping inside your panel, you should probably look into that before going on with a brew anyways, so there's that...

-Kevin

Of course - if you have circuits tripping inside your panel, you should probably look into that before going on with a brew anyways, so there's that...

Haha, Amen to that!

You are correct, if the breaker is off or tripped, and all the swithces are closed, then the circuit would be complete through all the NC blocks through the keyed switch. The moment you turned on any switch, however, the whole thing would die because there'd be no back-feed through the blown circuit breaker. So, from an electrical engineering mental exercise - you're right, it'd work. For reality - it wouldn't be of any value whatsoever.

Okay cool, that's what I thought. I'm just making sure I understand the diagrams before I start connecting wires. Thanks again to you and P-J... I've learned a lot from you both.

--tim

Back