Apfelwein Preferences

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edthefox

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to start a batch of Apfelwein and I would like to know which variant most of you prefer.

I've read about it being made with brown sugar, cane sugar and turbinado instead of dextrose and fermented with with Nottingham ale yeast instead of Montrachet .I've never tasted this stuff before so I really don't know which way to go with it.

I have all these ingredients on hand and cant decide if I should go with the original recipe or go the brown sugar/Nottingham route.

I've got 5 gallons of Mott's and I'm going to keg it and force carb.

Any suggestions?

I'd say go the original route for the first time, then feel free to deviate from that for secondary batches (I can assure you, you will brew more)

I've got three batches going right now. One stock, one with 2lbs brown sugar and one with 3lbs brown sugar. As the sugar went up, the smell has been more rank, and likely would take longer to mellow.

I am pretty happy with the results from EC-1118 and Cane sugar.

After the first batch I went ahead and made it according to the recipe.

Did my first batch to original recipe but using SN9 which has cleared well but smells boozy and for my second batch I've added a small amount of tannins, acid blend, nutrient salts and left out the extra sugar and I'm using t-58 Belgian ale yeast as an experiment.

Started a 5gal batch using KV-1116. I want to push this one hard to see where it goes.

I used 2 pkg of yeast, each in their own half-gal jug of must, shaken to death (after hydrating in water of course).

Added the above starters to 3gal of must, well-aerated.

Slowly feeding it 3qts of apple juice that I added 4.8lbs of sugar to (inverted it first).

Bubbling madly! Fingers crossed!

cheers,

robin850

Just started a batch tonight w/4.5gal Tree Top AJ, 1qt frozen Apple Juice Concentrate, 1lb organic wildflower honey, and Saflager 34/70 yeast. Fermenting at ~55F, plan on racking to keg in 2 months, then letting it rest in the basement (~60F) for 2 more months before tasting. No clue what to expect with this recipe, I usually prefer 2lbs dextrose, Nottingham yeast and 3 months in the carboy before carbing and drinking to much delight...

Make all four in one gallon batches...in a couple months you'll be the Apfelwein-variant MASTER!!!

Back