Cider Newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krag22

Reaction score
So this is my first batch. I am thinking about making a second batch this week to compare and see the different tastes and things.
So I'm new to this. My airlock, it has bubbles that are suspended in the water and the water is constantly evaporating. Is this ok?
Also I'm not totally sure about the heating part. I know your not supposed to boil the juice so it won't kill the yeast. How long am I supposed to keep it warm? I did long enough to dissolve the sugar.
Any notes and links would be awesome. Thanks!

You only made 1 gallon?

What cider / juice did you use? (I don't see this in your post)

I have 3 gallons going right now (my 2nd attempt at cider, not counting the melomel /cyser I've got conditioning right now).

The 775 is a good yeast for cider, but it will ferment very dry. If you want a "sweet" cider then read up on the many threads here on back-sweetening and pasteurization.

This yeast also throws off a bit of sulphur, which will need to be conditioned out. You can rack it to a secondary in a couple weeks and/or until it gets down to around 1.000 - use your hydrometer, and then let it rest for about 2 weeks before you bottle it. You can leave it in the primary if you wish, but from what I've read cider benefits from a secondary in helping it clear.

It should be drinkable at 4 weeks (because of the time it takes to get the sulphury notes out of the nose) but will be much better after a couple months.

As far as the bubbling /airlock goes - my latest batch (a combintation of 2 gallons of local cider w/o preservatives, 1/2 ga. of gravestein apple juice from Whole Foods, and a 1/2 gallon of organic "Earth's Pride" apple juice from BJ's, along with 1 c. of raw turbinado sugar boiiled in water w/ cinnamon and vanilla) has been happily bubbling for 2 days now. It foamed up a bit and was bubbling like a nice ale yeast, but it's already starting to drop and clear (which is a good thing).

Fermenting at ambient room temperatures between 66 and 68F.

I used WhiteHouse Premium Apple Juice. I bought some Simply Apple juice that I'm gonna try on the next batch. At the time I didn't realize that you can buy the cheaper stuff and be alright.
Go figure I wrote that post and it's foaming and bubbling happy now lol.
I'm usually a fan of Dry cider so maybe this will be good. I'm bout to give the Nottingham Ale a shot. I hear that comes out well.
Yea I only made a gallon. In 2 weeks I'm going to buy a 5 gallon and give that a shot. i found a receipe on here of some English cider that looks and sounds great. Also I just made a gallon because I'm new to the craft lol.

Back