Bell's Two-Hearted Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jota21

Reaction score
I did a search and found a couple of old threads from 2008. Rather than bumping those, I figured i'd copy/paste this Two-Hearted clone and allow for critique:

The recipe shows a 5 gallon batch using:

Ingredients:
10 lbs Maris Otter Malt
2 lbs Vienna Malt
1/2 lb Crystal Malt (20L)

Hop Schedule:
1.5 oz centennial 60 min
0.5 oz centennial 30 min
0.75 oz cascade 10 min
0.25 oz cascade at flameout

dry hop .75 oz centennial and 1.00 oz cascade for 9 days.

Yeast: WLP051

Would I just throw all of the grains in a bag, steep at 160 for 45 minutes, then bring to boil and follow the hop schedule?

Mash temp for this beer is usually low 150's. It's also Cenntennial only AFAIK.

For starters, Bells Two Hearted has an all centennial hop schedule. I am not sure why you would add cascades and call it a clone.

Also, this clone recipe is superb.

Would I just throw all of the grains in a bag, steep at 160 for 45 minutes, then bring to boil and follow the hop schedule?

No. You would need to mash the grains. Are you familiar with All-Grain brewing? You might want to look at this thread for an easy start.

Also, as samc mentioned, your mash temp should be more like 150 F for at least 60 min.

Yup the Eschatz/DubbleDach recipe that has been posted by Hammy and Thickead IS the uber clone for that beer....

I'd almost say not to bother trying to come up with your own....that one nails it. I'm drinking it now, and it's perfect, AND I just tried thickhead's version of the same recipe....and it's dead on as well.

If you want a clone of the beer because you want to drink the beer, brew that one...If you want to experiment and try to get closer, base it off that one as well.

I'd say the clone hit 99.5% of the markers of that beer. And brewing it with Bell's yeast bottle harvested would probably get you closer to 100.

I've got three 22s of that clone in my beer fridge for tonight. Mine came out a touch lighter, but that was my process, not the recipe. Brew it!!! You won't believe how good it is:)

"All your home brew are belong to us!"

Never had the real 2 heart but made 12 gallons of the "old 2008" recipe and it is a great beer. If it ain't broken...

Two-Hearted is not made with Maris Otter, rather American two-row. It is an American IPA after all.

There is also a Zymurgy recipe floating around here that closely parallels the other clone recipes. I brewed it with harvested Bell's yeast and it was spot on.

Back