another newb hydrometer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mot

Reaction score
How do you read these things? I know it is where it floats on the beer but the chart on mine says 1.000 then has the 20 30 40 50 marks ect. so if it is at like 40 it is just 1.040 right? then adjust for temperature and stuff?

sounds about right... just make sure you either bob it or spin it to get any bubbles off of it.

Howdy,
This is a picture of three hydrometers.
http://www.leebrewery.com/hydromet.htm

One at OG, one at FG, and one is 'just water'.
I've been brewing 15 years and seldom use mine.
For ale:
A week in the primary,
a week in the sencondary,
and bottle.
Simple.

jacksknifeshop.tripod.com

appreciate the reply.

reason I ask is...I bought "Designing Great Beers" and the author said to read the top of the meniscus.

THere isnt a certain amount fo wort that needs to be in the test tube right? Just as long as the hydrometer floats

coyote said:
appreciate the reply.

reason I ask is...I bought "Designing Great Beers" and the author said to read the top of the meniscus.
New to brewing, but not to reading glassware, since I work in a lab. AFAIK, you always read the bottom of a (concave) meniscus. If you have a convex meniscus (ie old-school mercury barometer), then you read at the top, but beer/wort in a tube should always form a concave meniscus.

Back