Question about boiling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juilin

Reaction score
In my attempts to get a full boil going on my stove, I have a question.

I have 5.8 gallons of wort on the burner and I'm trying to get it to a full, roiling boil. I can get a weak boil just by straddling two burners. I was wondering if i cover 1/4-1/2 of the top of the pot with a lid if there would be any ill effects on the final product. I'm pretty sure it would come to a full boil if I just did that.

I had the same problem on my stove in my apartment. I considered getting a heat stick, but after having my brews turn out really good, I decided it was fine. I don't imagine having the lid on for a little bit to get it there would be a problem but as long as it's boiling, weak or full, I think that's enough.

Buy a big roll of aluminum foil and wrap the pot in a few layers all the way up to the top.... then bring it to a boil with the lid on.. remove the lid and start your timer.

I have the same problem with my stove. I leave the lid 3/4 on, just so the pot can vent. It boils, life is good.

Back