Help with 3/16" Tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orpheus

Reaction score
I hate it when something really easy turns confusing really quickly. I wanted to get some 3/16" tubing to hook up to my CO2 tank and run through the drain hole in my Sanyo 4912.

I went to NB.com to order some and they say their 3/16" tubing is for liquid only. Will this tubing still work just fine for gas or is there another type of 3/16" that's better for gas?

I've never heard of anyone using anything that small for gas. Most of the time, you use 5/16 or 1/4. I don't see why you couldn't use it, it's just not standard.

3/16" 'Foam Free' Tubing. Narrower inner diameter than K025, which increases flow resistance and reduces foaming at high dispensing pressures. Use for liquid lines. Flow resistance is 2 psi/foot. If you store beer at 10 psi, use 5 feet of Foam-Free Tubing for a good pour. Sold per foot.

The description above from NB says use for liquid lines, because 3/16" ID is the preferred size most homebrewers use. It doesn't say "liquid lines only". It will be fine for gas use. I know several people that use it with their Sanyo 4912's through the drain hole.

The smaller diameter will have no effect. There is no gas flow after the beer has absorbed as much CO2 as it can at your serving temperature. It is just sitting there with a static pressure applied. A small amount of gas will flow into the keg after every pour to fill the now larger headspace.

John

just like what others have said here, you can use it for gas.

it is cheaper to use other tubing though. i personally use 1/4'' ID 38" OD tubing that is significantly cheaper than the 3/16 thick walled tubing.

Back