Failed Hard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srb3189

Reaction score
Made a batch of Edwords Apfelwein today. However, I dropped my last drilled bung into the carboy...I will go to my LHBS tomorrow but eff what am I going to do tonight? I have a plastic bag with a rubber band over the top right now. Suggestions? Advice?

That should be just fine. Sanitized aluminum foil works fine too. Don't worry... this has only happened a BILLION times to other people. Just leave the bung in there for now and get it out after you rack.

It will be. The airlock and stopper don't hold any magical powers. So long as you have the opening covered, it's clean and sanitary and there's a way for the CO2 to escape, you'll be just fine.

I brewed a few months ago and couldn't find the lid for my ale pail. I just covered the whole bucket with aluminum foil and left it that way for three weeks. It still made tasty, tasty beer.

The good news is, I agree with the Cat, but I think a BILLION is a slight exaggeration. :)
The bad news is, how are you going to get the bung out of the carboy when you empty it? :D
If you have any difficulty, check out https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/bung-fell-through-88328/ for suggestions.

-a.

It too some assistance from the SWMBO (she held the carboy upside down for me once I had the bag inflated) I used this trick to remove a bung that I got stuck in one of my carboys. Hope it works for you as well as it did for me.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
It too some assistance from the SWMBO (she held the carboy upside down for me once I had the bag inflated) I used this trick to remove a bung that I got stuck in one of my carboys. Hope it works for you as well as it did for me.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F8jtrx6psw

Yup, there's a kagillion ways of doing it. :)
I've never tried any of them because I'm either incredibly sensible and got the right size bung in the first place, or because I'm too much of a wimp to push the bung into the carboy.
I'm inclined to go with the second explanation, because I've done enough other stupid things to prove that I'm not at all sensible. :D

-a.

Back