Interesting Off-Flavor from Light Ale???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mainer28

Reaction score
I brewed an all grain very light ale. The recipe was mostly pale malt, very little light caramel, and some malted wheat. I used .75oz Simcoe and Salfale 05 yeast.

Brew day went fine, I cooled with a wort chiller to about 72 degrees before pitching the yeast. It fermented at about 75 or so.

The beer has been in the primary for 14 days and is extremely clear, nice looking beer. However, there is a strange flavor that is hard to describe. It's almost tastes corn flakey????? Sort of grainy. Another impression from a friend was that it tasted like a powerful Coors Lite.

Do you think this beer is worth bottling? What created my off flavors and how can I prevent them? Do you think they will subside after carbonating in a bottle?

Thanks all for your help.

It could be an off-flavor like DMS or diacetyl or it could just be underhopped and a bit out of balance.

Don't worry about what a beer tastes like after only 14 days. It should slightly resemble beer, but unless the beer was rancid, moldy, or otherwise infected there's no way to know at this point how the flavors will change after many more weeks of conditioning.

If the beer didn't make you gag at this point, there's a 99% chance it will mature and develop a great final flavor provided you give it enough time.

yeah I dont know but as they you cant judge a beer until you give it enough time. Definitely bottle it up and give it a few months before even considering dumping it.

How refined is your beer palette? Are you sure it is a normal off-taste? Or could it just be a normal hops or malt taste that you just don't like?

Back