Briess Pilsner Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
So can this be used for what Jamil calls for in his recipes (Continental Pilsner)? Or is this malt much different and you won't get the right body and style beer??

My local shop has Briess Pilsner and I was thinking of buying a bulk sack to make a bunch of different brews.

Has anyone used Briess Pilsner for the Jamil recipes??

AFAIK Continental Pilsner means European Pilsner. Unfortunately I haven't compared Briess Pils malt to others. Usually when I use Pils malt it is to make either German or Belgian styles so I use German/Bohemian (usually Weyermann) for the German beers and Belgian (usually Castle) for Belgians. Then I use UK Maris Otter (Crisp or TF&S) for almost all my ales. So I guess I'm sort of biased towards 'Continental' malts...for no good reason really (other than trying to be a little more 'authentic').:)

It seems to have a slightly lower soluble/total protein ratio and a lighter color (1°L) than most modern continental pilsener malts, but it's made from 2-row. It should be quite suitable, but not exactly the same. It depends on the price. You may get a sack of German or Belgian Pilsener from just as cheap by ordering it (e.g., North Country Malt Supply). Overall, I haven't been real impressed by Briess's malts, but I haven't tried them all either.

It is good stuff. Pretty much everything from Briess is good stuff, but it will be slightly different. I'm still a stickler for a continental malt, but I believe you can make award winning beer with Briess malts.

Pretty much everything from Briess is good stuff

I was disappointed to find their Munich and Vienna malts are 6-row. I tasted, side-by-side, a few kernels each of their Munich (10°L) malt vs. BestMalz Munich malt. The Briess was bland and somewhat astringent compared to the BestMalz.

I think if you blind tasted beers brewed with both, you'd change your mind on that. Nothing wrong with 6 row malt if used properly.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, just wanted somewhere to post this pic that someone might find interesting.

It seems to have a slightly lower soluble/total protein ratio and a lighter color (1°L) than most modern continental pilsener malts, but it's made from 2-row.

It does seem to me to be really pale. I *love* the stuff.

Illustrated, that's a Beck's on the left, my pilsner (100% Briess, double decoction, 90min boil, ~1.053 OG) on the right.

IMG_20120210_221310.jpg

Back