whole hops and hop plug storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernik

Reaction score
I took about a year off from brewing. I just realized that I still have some bags of whole hops that have been sitting in my freezer all that time.

I have:
2oz of willamette (unopened and kept in a freezer bag),
1oz of saaz (opened but double freezer bagged)
1oz of perle (opened but double freezer bagged)
3oz of fuggles (opened but double freezer bagged)

Are any of these worth attempting to use after all this time? Or should I open them and put them in a paper bag to start aging for my next pLambic?

Go lambic, I have some 05 whole leaf hops that will go towards the same thing.

I think as long as they are still green and don't smell cheesy, you can still use them. Were the opened bags sealed with air in them, or vacuum sealed? That could make a difference in freshness.

-Steve

I would go by appearance and smell. I they smell good, and look good, turn em into beer. If not, lambic time!

Just did the smell test.

Looks like everything might be okay except for the Saaz. I really didn't get a whole lot of aroma off of the Saaz.

The Fuggles and Perle smell great. I'm assuming the willamette is fine. I'm not opening it to find out.

I guess I'll test the Fuggles out in the porter I'm going to teach my brother to brew. There will be 2 more ounces of fresh hops in it, so if the Fuggles are weak, it won't be as noticeable.

Latest posts

Back