HopHed Summer Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Nottingham
Yeast Starter
none
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 @ 64
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Additional Fermentation
none
Tasting Notes
see below
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - BeerSmith Brewing Software, Recipes, Blog, Wiki and Discussion Forum
Recipe: HopHed Summer Ale
Brewer: HopHed Brewhaus
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Wheat or Rye Beer
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 7.18 gal
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 3.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 20.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Pale Malt (Briess 2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
5.00 lb Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
0.50 oz Magnum [13.40 %] (60 min) Hops 20.7 IBU
2.00 gm Grains of Paradise - crushed (Boil 5 min) Misc
3 pcs Fresh Lemon Peel (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 10.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 3.13 gal of water at 161.4 F 150.0 F

Use the rind of 3 large lemons. I cut and chopped the rind of the lemons right before I added them to the boil, trying to leave behind as much pith as possible and add as much of the rind as I possibly could. It was about 3 - 3.5 oz. I also cushed the grains of pradise right before it was added.

It has a crisp lemon tartness in the first couple of drinks with the GoP present underneath. Once you get a few sips into a pint though, your palate grows accustomed to the lemon tartness (which is probably equal to a typical Berliner Weiss) subsides a bit and the GoP becomes more present. This is a great quaffer to sip while sitting in your favorite outdoor spot on a hot day.

This was a huge hit this past weekend with the folks that come over and play in our poker game. They're almost all BMC drinkers, and they seemed happy to leave their BMC behind and head up to pull a pint of this.

View attachment summer ale.bsm

I'm looking for a good summer ale and this ldefinitely looks like a contender. I have never heard of "grains of pardise" before, but I just looked it up on-line. Is this spice hard to find? Do you think they woud have it in the local grocery store, or do you have to order it?

I'm thinking it must be pretty powerful stuff, if you only use 2 grams for a full 5 gallon batch! That's like 1/14 of an ounce!

I'm looking for a good summer ale and this ldefinitely looks like a contender. I have never heard of "grains of pardise" before, but I just looked it up on-line. Is this spice hard to find? Do you think they woud have it in the local grocery store, or do you have to order it?

I'm thinking it must be pretty powerful stuff, if you only use 2 grams for a full 5 gallon batch! That's like 1/14 of an ounce!

GoP are pretty strong and they will make beer bitter if you add too much from my experience. I like this recipe and will give it a try next weekend. I may add .5 oz of flavor hops like cascade at 10 min. I am a hop freak!

Oh, BTW, you can find GoP at your LHBS or usually at Whole Foods or any other upitty grocery store. :cross:

Has anyone ever tried these hop jump bags? they look like tea bags, only it's hops inside. I made a summer ale and it very tart,It's been in the bottle for a month, I thought adding more hops would offset the strong lemon taste.
rerein

just saw this and want to make it today, but I want to still be able to enjoy it this summer! if I ferment it for about 2 wks, crash cool, then keg it, will the lemon be too harsh? how long did y'all ferment/condition for?

I made a nearly identical extract version of this summer ale recipe. I fermented it for 2 weeks, no cold crash, and bottled it on June 14th. The lemon was (and is still) pretty potent imo, but most people that have sampled don't find it overwhelming. I guess what I'm saying is the lemon hasn't "mellowed" much in the past month BUT wasn't overwhelming to begin with. Like mostany homebrew, I'm guessing my last bottle will be the best. Hope this helps.

here's another question to the OP: how'd you get "lemon peel" into beersmith? couldn't figure it out. mashing right now, very excited about the recipe!

I added lemon and GoP to BeerSmith by clicking the Add Misc button under ingredients, then clicking the New button on the window that opens. Enter what you need.

Stumbled upon this recipe and brewed it yesterday. Tasted the hydrometer, had front heavy lemon flavor with subtle GOP and hop flavor to pull it all together. OG was a little light at 1.034, making a one gallon recipe due to lack of all grain experience and lack of equipment. Excited to get this opened for summer,

Back