never-ending fermentation conundrum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kashoot

Reaction score
Hello Anyone,

16 days ago I brewed a small batch of ale [(2) 3 liter jars] and despite the fact that both jars contain the same wort and the same yeast and are stored in the same place under the same temperature conditions one of jars has stopped flocculating (the brew is clearing and darkening) while in the other jar yeast is still visibly suspended and continues to bubble at the rate of about one burp per minute. I did not take hydrometer readings. Of the 5 ales I've brewed in my life this is by far the longest fermentation. According to Homebrewing for Dummies wild yeast strains can sometimes keep fermentation going longer than prescribed. But the problem with this theory is that both of the jars were in the same environment throughout and they both have airlocks. Any ideas?

By the way I've used a White labs Edinburgh Yeast and the room temperature is 66 F plus or minus two degrees.

Thanks for pondering,
Kashoot

After asking similar questions I am confident the tenor of responses will be to wait answers see.

Hind sight is 20/20, the hydrometer is a good friend to use as it can answer questions.

I have a pumpkin ale that is pretty blah... I am hoping time will help it along, if not then I'll drink the blahs away.

Considering it was one brew, split into two jars- I imagine one got more sediment then the other, including yeast. Enjoy the clearer, and let the other one go longer, you should be good!

I've had beers that have taken forever and perhaps one got more yeast than the other, resulting in a quicker fermentation. Perhaps that "finished" beer is stalled and needs to be swirled. I'd do hydro checks and see where you're at.

I currently have a beer in my sig that had krausen for 13 days and still going ;) it was 1-2 inches thick and has been 1 inch for last 1 week+ today when I shook it I actually saw some of the beer so I guess it will be dropping soon.

I might end up with the longest thick krausen record ;)

Btw since I am seeing so much krausen I am not even checking the gravity. I am keeping nicely in the cooler (never changed water or added ice) and its been at 63-68 all fermentation. When the krausen falls down I will take primary out of the cooler and leave it at room temperature for until I hit 3 weeks total or more.

Latest posts

Back