Drunk Owl Mango

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niquejim

Burrowing Owl Brewery
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 3864
Yeast Starter
3l
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 62/64
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
6 months at 68
20C. Lambic And Belgian Sour Ale, Fruit Lambic-Style Ale All-grain

Color

Stats
OG 1.055
FG 1.004
IBU 14
ABV 6.69% ( do not know how much the mango added)
SRM 3

Specifics
Boil Volume 6.25 gallons
Batch Size 5 gallons
Yeast 75% AA

Style Comparison
Low High
OG 1.044 1.055 1.056
FG 1.006 1.014 1.012
IBU 10 14 15
SRM 4 3 15
ABV 4.7 5.3 5.8

Fermentables
% Weight Weight (lbs) Grain Gravity Points Color
85.0 % 8.50 Belgian Pils 44.6 3.1
15.0 % 1.50 Cane sugar 10.4 0.3
10.00 55.0

Hops
% Wt Weight (oz) Hop Form AA% AAU Boil Time Utilization IBU
100.0 % 0.75 Tettnanger Pellet 4.5 3.4 60 0.268 13.5
0.75 13.5

Mash @ 152 for 60 minutes
After primary add 7lbs mangos and dregs from 3bottles Orval and let sit 6-8 months.
Add new yeast at bottling

Wonderfully dry and refreshingly tart

This beer really got good after 6 months in the bottle.

Here's what Denny Conn had to say about it

"Hi Jim,
Sorry to take so long getting back to ya...it's been weird here...

Let me just say...FREAKIN' FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!! Don't know what I can say about the mango strong that hasn't been said already. A totally delicious beer, perfectly balanced. Sour up front, but the the mango kicks in mid palate. A throughly enjoyable experience.

Thanks so much for thinking of me when you sent them up. The mango strong was a real inspiration for me to try something crazy one of these days. When I do, you'll be sure you get some!

------------->Denny"

So what, you sent Denny a bottle?
That's pretty cool. Get some feedback on it, and positive feedback at that.

I'll shoot you my address in a PM.:D

I'm going to do my best to make a half batch of this using 2-row and some other yeast; probably Kolsch, because I have it on hand.

Wouldn't any sourness overpower delicate yeast flavors put off by a specialty yeast? Correct me if I'm wrong =)

Who's this Denny character you speak of?
Anyway, I can vouche for this one as well.
The mango plays well with the tartness of the beer. a very refreshing brew.
highyl recommended

I'm going to do my best to make a half batch of this using 2-row and some other yeast; probably Kolsch, because I have it on hand.

Wouldn't any sourness overpower delicate yeast flavors put off by a specialty yeast? Correct me if I'm wrong =)

It should be good,,,It just takes about 1 year to get really ggod

I went a little off of your method unfortunately. I used the wyeast lambic blend instead of the Orval dregs which I'm sure will make it very different. I also let it sit in primary for too long so the gravity when adding the brett was down below 1.006.

I plan on brewing up a gallon of some generic 1.030 wort and mashing around 160ish to give the brett some maltotriose to eat up. Either way I think a mango lambic is going to be interesting.

Would adding maltodextrin be a better option than mashing high to give the brett more food?

I ended up doing this to try to increase sourness in the final beer:

1# Unmalted wheat
1# of 2row
10AA of some hop

Mashed at 158*

Ended up with about 1.5 gallons of ~1.020 wort. I added half into each fermenter and within a few days I saw some action in the fermenters.

The beginnings of a pellicle are forming on my Straight Lambic about a month after adding the second wort. It doesn't appear that there is a pellicle yet on the fruited (Mango) Lambic.

Baby brewer here, what I don't get is how you can be absolutely sure the mangoes will be bacteria-free after being cut into pieces? This has been a problem in past brews I've attempted when it called for a puree. My food processor, as hard as I'd try otherwise, would introduce some bacteria, and I'd end up with a nice disgusting waste.

I didn't puree mine. I cut them into squares, froze them, and when they came out I sprayed the outside with starsan before placing them into the fermenter.

Much thanks. With this in mind, I might just attempt to finish primary by the quarter's end, and have all of secondary happen while I'm up north until September. The summer projects are really starting to pile up, at this rate I'm going to need another bucket or carboy to accommodate, whoo.

sorry to bump a old thread but.................

I'm also doing a mango lambic type thing

I did a couple wild fruit lambics like with concord grapes and my process was crush the fruit add a campden tablet for every gallon of must and freeze. using about two gallons crushed grapes for every 5 gallons of beer I rack onto the fruit. yeilding about 6 gallons liquid after all is said and done.

I rack the beer onto the fruit after primary fermentation maybe 5 days with a belgian ale yeast and then when racking on to the fruit is when I pitch either the wyeast lambic blend or a few cups of the floating fruit/yeast sludge from a batch I have going.

I have found maltodextrin seems to speed up the horsey end of the flavors and the actual acid takes awhile but if you use high acid fruit you really don't have to wait that long. a couple months.

badlyeducated, for fruit beers campden is your friend! just don't use too much!

anyway, my question is, how much of the mango comes through? should I dump in 8 lbs like I do with cherries or grapes or go less like I am using raspberries?

I just wanted to drop back by and thank you again for the recipe niquejim. I entered this into Peach State Brew Off (2nd biggest competition in the southeast 582 entries) a few weeks ago and the 18 month old Mango Lambic pulled down a 44 which is an excellent score and was good enough for a silver medal. So, thanks again and if anyone is on the fence about this beer I vote go for it!

I entered this into the Longshot this year and it scored a 34 mainly because it was not really a Cat 23. Gordon Strong wrote on the bottom of his sheet "A better beer than the score indicates. You were marked down for how you descibed it". Two of the three judges marked the Technical merit as Flawless and Intangibles as Wonderful but the Stylistic Accuracy one away from Not to Style. Oh well!!!!

goodgnus said:
When you say "add new yeast at bottling", what yeast and how much?

Thanks, going to make this as my first sour.

Yeah I'm also wondering about that as well.

I think I just used a pack of notty or S-05. I just added a packet when i racked into the bottling bucket and didnt have any carb issues.

nealf said:
I think I just used a pack of notty or S-05. I just added a packet when i racked into the bottling bucket and didnt have any carb issues.

Oh ok that's good to know. I've heard horror stories about bottles exploding doing that. I put my bottles in my closet too. So that would be ****ty on a whole new level hahaha. But thanks for your information dude!!

Fantastic thread, after living in the shadow of The Lost Abbey in the San Diego area for a few years I've become a big fan of sours. I brewed this back in late May, it's been sitting on ~10 lbs of mango meat for about 10 weeks now and is already getting tasty. Cant wait to see how it continues to mature. After 2 days in the primary I dropped the temp and then racked it onto the mango, adding a small starter of Wyeast Lambic Blend. I've been tasting a small sample every 4 weeks and the sourness came on quickly, i guess the residual sugars from the short primary fermentation and the big load of mango gave the bugs some good food to eat. The mango is starting to hit as an aftertaste now.

For those that have brewed this, how long did you let it sit on the mango before bottling?

Joe

This beer sounds fantastic, I've been intrigued by it for awhile. I brewed a variation of it yesterday:

10# floor malted Pils
1# corn sugar
.5# maltodextrin

2 oz Saaz @ 60

mashed at 151 for 90 minutes
90 minute boil
1.5 L starter of Wyeast 1388 pitched at 66F

I plan on adding a vial of WL Brett B with the mangos after the primary sacch begins to drop out. :mug:

I'm adding mango & Brett to my version this evening.

Is there a consensus on mango chunks vs mango puree?

I'm adding mango & Brett to my version this evening.

Is there a consensus on mango chunks vs mango puree?

I cut up 12 large ripe to overripe mangoes into chunks and froze them overnight before thawing, adding campden and dumping into the carboy. That was in early summer though when they were much more available in the Northeast.

my batch is at about 4 months now, just noticed a white powdery pellicle beginning to form on top of the mango, not the greatest pic though:

mango_pellicle.jpg

So glad I found this thread! I am headed to Afghanistan in March, and will try a Belgian Golden Strong Ale base with WLP 565 since I can ferment in the garage at 85F. I plan to rack to a secondary with 7-8 lbs of mangoes and a vial of Brett B. I plan on racking to the secondary a week or so before leaving, and letting it sit in the secondary for the 6 months or so I will be gone. Its nice being in a place I can get fresh mangoes year-round! Hopefully the WLP 565 spice doesn't over-power the mango, but I want to have a batch going while I am gone, and this sounds kind of good to me. Any thoughts?

Go for it. It takes the better part of 14 months for this beer to get really good. I don't have mangoes year round, but in the summer everyone I know that has mango trees always ask if I want some. I always say yes, whether I'll be brewing or no;)

Few questions. I am going to be using German Pilsner and Maris Otter for the grain bill, corn sugar, and WLP 550. I was wanting to use WLP 565 but the only LHBS on Oahu was out of it until the 24th.

I plan to rack to a secondary after 1-2 weeks (fermenting in temp controlled fridge). Would it be ok to let the beer sit in the secondary on mangoes for 6 months, or would that cause trouble?
Any tips? Last brew before I go to Afghanistan, and I want to come home to a great beer!

Who's going to make sure your air lock doesn't dry out? Just figured I'd ask because I wouldn't rely on the wife/girlfriend/roommate. When I went to Turkey my was put in charge of maintaining my cigars. She practically ruined each and every one I had. I'd put something like a food grade silicone oil in the airlock as insurance as long as it's a glass carboy.

mxstar21 said:
Few questions. I am going to be using German Pilsner and Maris Otter for the grain bill, corn sugar, and WLP 550. I was wanting to use WLP 565 but the only LHBS on Oahu was out of it until the 24th.

I plan to rack to a secondary after 1-2 weeks (fermenting in temp controlled fridge). Would it be ok to let the beer sit in the secondary on mangoes for 6 months, or would that cause trouble?
Any tips? Last brew before I go to Afghanistan, and I want to come home to a great beer!

You may want to keep an eye on the SG during the primary. I use wlp550 as well with this recipe and typically put the primary in my fridge to knock out the yeast after 3-4 days of vigorous fermentation (1.020 or so). If you let the sacchromyces eat too much of the fermentables, there will be comparatively less for the souring bugs to metabolize. The mango does add sugar back in too obviously but I've had good luck with the schedule above.

What are you planning on using in your secondary for fermentation? I've got 3 carboys in my basement with wyeast 3278, they've been at 60-62 for a few months now and the flavor is starting to mature nicely. Planning on making a batch every 3 months or so to keep it rolling along!

Who's going to make sure your air lock doesn't dry out? Just figured I'd ask because I wouldn't rely on the wife/girlfriend/roommate. When I went to Turkey my was put in charge of maintaining my cigars. She practically ruined each and every one I had. I'd put something like a food grade silicone oil in the airlock as insurance as long as it's a glass carboy.

I was planning on using .5 or so of a liter of cheap vodka in my yeast starter flask and a blow-off tube in my temp controlled fermenting chamber. We have a neighbor coming to check on things once a month or so who lives up the street, but I think this maybe the easiest.

You may want to keep an eye on the SG during the primary. I use wlp550 as well with this recipe and typically put the primary in my fridge to knock out the yeast after 3-4 days of vigorous fermentation (1.020 or so). If you let the sacchromyces eat too much of the fermentables, there will be comparatively less for the souring bugs to metabolize. The mango does add sugar back in too obviously but I've had good luck with the schedule above.

What are you planning on using in your secondary for fermentation? I've got 3 carboys in my basement with wyeast 3278, they've been at 60-62 for a few months now and the flavor is starting to mature nicely. Planning on making a batch every 3 months or so to keep it rolling along!

Not sure if I will be adding mangoes to this one. I brewed my batch today, but I won't be able to get any Brett before I leave. The LHBS in Hawaii doesn't carry it, its special order only, and can't get it in time. I am afraid to add fruit and let it so long, so I may just keep it as a Belgian Golden Strong Ale. Just gonna let this one sit in the temp controlled fridge while I am gone. Should be pretty good!

You can't get bottles of Orval? The sediment at the bottom is all I've used and it's been fine 3 times now

I always let it sit on the mangoes(actually they float:D) at least 6 months

You can't get bottles of Orval? The sediment at the bottom is all I've used and it's been fine 3 times now

I always let it sit on the mangoes(actually they float:D) at least 6 months

Maybe I will do the mangoes? I haven't seen Orval here in Hawaii. There are only a few (like 3-4) places that have a good selection of beer, and Orval isn't one of I have seen.

I did a starter with 2 vials of WLP 550, and fermentation kicked off pretty fast, and so far it looks and smells great in my satellite fermenter. I will rack to a glass carboy before I leave and keep it in a temp controlled fridge at 75 unless you guys recommend a better temp. I will probably do the mangoes after all.

Back