Grandma's liquid apple pie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme and 1 tsp yeast nutrient
Is it too late to add the pectic enzyme? I'm unfamiliar with it and didn't realize it was supposed to go in before the yeast addition....according to what I've read after a quick google search.

I was in the same situation. I decided to put them in. I used petict enzyme, yest energizer, and a campden tablet it actually work. It cleared up a little bit. After 2 weeks with the stuff in it I split my gallon into 2 one gallon carboys then top them off with more apple cider now I don't know if that was a good idea but they are still fermenting and even have a lot better aroma. Be I put the chems in to help it out. It was basicly all alcohol "which is not a bad thing" but want more flavor. There was barely any sent of cider or anything like that. But so far its working great.

If I have any problems with clearing I use superkleer its 2 parts meant for 5 or 6 gallonsi use eye dropper 1 from small pack hour later 3 drppers full from larger side within 24 hours crystal clear

Just one gallon in the freezer to do some freeze concentrating and I'vegot 2.5 gallons about 2 weeks into fermentation. Smells delicious and the little sample I took of the 1 gallon was awesome.

Just one gallon in the freezer to do some freeze concentrating and I'vegot 2.5 gallons about 2 weeks into fermentation. Smells delicious and the little sample I took of the 1 gallon was awesome.

Which recipe did you use? I see several on this thread.

I dont know anyone else had this problem my cider wont stop fermenting. I put the sorbate acid to kill the yest in a 1 gallon batch it worked but when I tried to clear it up by using quick liquor super-kleer k.c after letting it sit for about an 1.5 hours it started fermenting again. I do have a video of it but my phone let me upload it for some reaso. But does anyone have an idea to kill off the fermentation. I put in my fridge which it seems like it stopped or did it just suspend it till it getts warmer.

I took a screen shot of it. In the clip the clump to the right started to rise then the sediment on the bottom start to bubble up then fall back down. Its very strange that it would start back up if it has chemicals to kill it.

ForumRunner_20130702_085407.jpg

Potassium sorbate doesn't kill the yeast, it just acts as a birth control basically. The yeast are still there and yes the cold will make the yeast go dormant. If set out on the counter it will start to ferment again when it warms up. Did you add the required amount of PS? Could be some CO2 just trapped in the lees causing them to rise a little. Maybe try racking it again fit an airlock on it and watch it for a few days

I dont know anyone else had this problem my cider wont stop fermenting. I put the sorbate acid to kill the yest in a 1 gallon batch it worked but when I tried to clear it up by using quick liquor super-kleer k.c after letting it sit for about an 1.5 hours it started fermenting again. I do have a video of it but my phone let me upload it for some reaso. But does anyone have an idea to kill off the fermentation. I put in my fridge which it seems like it stopped or did it just suspend it till it getts warmer.

I added potassium sorbate, a campden tablet and pectic enzyme. It still pops the corks off the whiskey bottles I have it in. Your best bet is to pasteurize it.

Does the cider/juice have to be unpasteurized? I made a cider once, and was told you had to make sure the juice wasn't pasteurized or treated with anything that would kill the yeast. Is that why you add the yeast nutrient?

I don't have the address handy but there's a thread here about pasteurization. Its simple, I don't want to explain it from memory and get it wrong though.

Cider is unpasteurized typically and juice it. Its not a chemical process but heat so there shouldn't be anything present that will harm your yeast.

I was meaning the actual preservatives like potassium benzoate or potassium sorbate, not pasteurized like I mentioned. I would assume you have to use preservative free cider, but I hadn't seen that mentioned.

I was meaning the actual preservatives like potassium benzoate or potassium sorbate, not pasteurized like I mentioned. I would assume you have to use preservative free cider, but I hadn't seen that mentioned.

Yes, it should be preservative free.

I don't know about that. I haven't had any issues with juice and I know a lot of people use it. Even after I added the sorbate there was still activity and I had to pasteurize it. I haven't used any nutrients or boosters for the yeast.

Ideally you want your product to be as natural and preservative free as possible but you can ferment even if it has sulphite on board, and sorbate typically causes no issue--but this is because you usually add more sugar, nutrient and a yeast starter, etc. The sulphite/sorbate is in the store product to prevent a spontaneous ferment. Now avoid products containing benzoate like the plague.

Gotcha. I would want it to be natural anyway, I just didn't know you could even ferment the ones with preservatives.

Hey guys, I just set up one of these with some minor changes.

What I did:

5 L turbid apple juice
2 ground apples
750 g orangeblossom honey
250 g brown sugar
8 g nutmeg
5 g piment
4 cinnamon sticks
2 vanilla beans
1/2 Tsp. vitamin C
2.5 g DAP
2 mL pectic enzyme
2 g rehydrated dry wine yeast

ended up at almost 6.5 L with 23.4 %Brix -> OG = 1090

The only problem is, after trying the must, I am craving apple pie pretty bad now…
Thx for this awesome recipe!

I just started this with a few small adjustments, unfortunately my local HB store didn't have the yeast I wanted and I ended up going with Lalvin 1122.

I ended up with that yeast due to the fact I am leaving home for awhile and in between my friend randomly crashing at my place to water my plants and get my mail the thermostat will be bumped up to 80F. He will also be topping off my air locks to make sure nothing funny happens while I am gone.

I sure hope it will be okay leaving it sit in primary for 1 1/2-2 months.

I used 5lbs of clover honey
1lb of brown sugar
16oz bottle of dark corn syrup
1tsp nutrient
1oz of nutmeg
3 cinnamin sticks
lalvin 1122 yeast
topped with HEB preservative free apple juice in my 5gal carboy

Set up a gallon of this. Used 1 galon of organic juice that came in it's own glass carboy. I removed 4 cups of juice, added 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup powdered sugar, 1lb clover honey, 1 clove, 1 cin stick, yeast nutrient, yeast energizer and 1tsp ec-1118. This thing is fermenting strong and smells great.

I did a 1.5 gallons of this. The only changes I made were using granulated table sugar instead of corn sugar and only 1 cinnamon stick. I had an OG of 1.100, used safale us-05, and after 3 weeks it stabilized at 1.027. Really sweet right now, but hopefully it will mellow and blend a bit while bulk aging before bottling. Otherwise the taste is INCREDIBLE.

Set up a gallon of this. Used 1 galon of organic juice that came in it's own glass carboy. I removed 4 cups of juice, added 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup powdered sugar, 1lb clover honey, 1 clove, 1 cin stick, yeast nutrient, yeast energizer and 1tsp ec-1118. This thing is fermenting strong and smells great.

Racked tonight and took a small sample. I think the ec-1118 was just too aggressive. I don't taste honey, cinnamon or clove. In fact, it hardly even tastes like apple juice. I may stabilize and backsweeten with a mixture of apple juice concentrate and honey and just let it bulk age to see if the flavors change.

I did a batch of this as well with EC-1118 and I'm hoping time will mellow it out. It is as you describe but I'm sure it will mellow out and the other flavours will come up as it ages. I'll give it a try around the 6 month mark and see what's up.

I just ordered some 71b and d47. When they arrive, I'm going to make another one gallon batch.

Racked tonight and took a small sample. I think the ec-1118 was just too aggressive. I don't taste honey, cinnamon or clove. In fact, it hardly even tastes like apple juice. I may stabilize and backsweeten with a mixture of apple juice concentrate and honey and just let it bulk age to see if the flavors change.

i made something similar to this. Its way to young to really taste like anything give it time..

Good deal...I'm going to stabalize, add some concentrate, bottle and let it sit till mid November.

I made a batch in March and just recently transferred to wine bottles and pasteurized. A few months ago, I was disappointed because I didn't taste vibrant spices like was I was expecting and like the apple pie my friend makes with liquor instead. But after it sat a little while more and I let it mature a little more, I'm happy with it. It's still not vibrant but it's a really good and very wine like. I'm comfortable sharing the bottles with friends now, knowing that it will be something that they enjoy. Plus being about 14% is a plus also.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.157038324461205.1073741828.145906592241045&type=3

That gives me a lot of hope because I made some in June and I tasted it a week ago and it was still quite harsh.

This is a style that should age for several months. I made it in march and then transferred it back to the original juice bottles in June, then let them sit until this last week. There was a big change in the time.

I started my batch in April opened a bottle last night this stuff is awesome starting another batch of this real soon maybe tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back