Raw white wheat, what is potential gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bighorn_brew

Reaction score
I made up an off the cuff beer today, took hydrometer reading but wort was hot and I want to plug some numbers into I brewmaster to see if my reading was way off.

What is the potential of Washington state white wheat, raw, not malted.

Is it near wheat malt? I used 14 lbs of great western 2 row, mashed at 150 F, and had 8 lbs of raw wheat, mashed for 60 minutes. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

I could be wrong here, but I believe you would need to do a protein rest with unmalted wheat in order to get any yield.

Absolutely useless reply but I read the title as "raw white meat..." and thought WTF is he brewing :drunk:

I can't think of a reason that there would be a difference between malted and unmalted wheat gravity potential, it's just based on the amount of starch. Malting is about getting the enzymes available and has nothing to do with making more starches. Beersmith shows 35 points for flaked wheat and that should be about what regular unmalted wheat gives you. Of course doing the cereal mash well enough so that you can convert them is up to you.

Back