Brown Bottles vs Cobalt Bottles.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forrest

Reaction score
Westminster, Uk. But only till the end of Decembe
I have read the arguments against the clear beer bottles and the green ones and how the clear and green bottles are the main culprits for the skunkiness of some Coronias and Heinikans. But I have never seen the blue Cobalt bottles mentioned in any of this. I love old things and a lot of the old bottles use to be Cobalt and I really like them. I realize that as long as you keep your beer in a dark spot that it doesn't really matter what kind of bottle you put it in but this is just for arguments sake. Does the brown bottles offer more protection than the Cobalts or are they about the same?

The brown bottles give you a few hours, the cobalt are no better than the green. As you say as long as you're careful with light control you can use them.

Some brown bottles are lighter than others as well, The only way to test it without wasting beer is to fill a dark brown bottle and then a blue one and see how well you can see the beer from the side as it fills. The better you can see it, presumeably, the weaker the uv protection.

Back