Questions about spa box

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poolshark021

Reaction score
I just bought the $49 home depot spa box for my new build. All the wiring, connectors, etc. I bought are rated for 30A (which should be fine for my single 5500W element). In addition to the 50A gfci that came with the box, I want to use a standard 30A breaker to protect the circuits from over current. Can I put the 30A breaker in the main box and still use the 50A gfci in the spa box or should it be the other way around?

That is a hugh depends. Are you installing the wiring from your mains panel to your brewing area? You say that the wire you bought is for 30A. Is that correct & is it 3 wire or 4 wire cable? Will it be terminating with an outlet?

P-J

Yes I am installing a complete new circuit. The wire is 10-3 with a ground so actually 4 wires. I am not terminating with a typical outlet, I will be installing a 120V switched outlet on the side of the box to plug my pump into.

I cannot wrap my mind around what you are saying. Are you hard wiring your rig?

BTW: With the wire your are running, you must install the 30A-240V breaker in the mains panel. It's there to protect the wiring.

Yes the spa box and controls will be hard wired and permanently mounted to the wall, the cables to all the equipment will disconnect from the box.

You answered my question. I just wanted to make sure the 30A breaker goes in the main box and the gfci stays in the spa box.

You are already proving to be a great contribution to the forum. :rolleyes:

LOL

Here is my input.
*The 30amp in the main breaker will protect the equipment.
*The 50amp GFCI spa panel is there for the purpose of protecting you.

You are fine with this setup, the 50amp is oversized for the application but there will be no damage to wiring because the breaker in the main panel will pop.

Back