Yeast starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tackucack

Reaction score
So I've been making yeast starters for a bit now and have been loving it. I have however never done or read about what I happened to do with the latest batch and am wondering if I'm okay.

After my starter batch I shook up my wort, pitched my yeast, and placed it on my stir plate for 2 days. It's been snowing like crazy though so I thought I would just knock them out for a bit (refrigerate) until I can brew later in the week. When I picked up my jar I had the sudden sinking feeling that I had forgot to vent after aerating. Yup, big release of gas when I turned the lid. Bubbles formed a good 2 inch layer in the jug and then went down to a normal looking starter.

So am I okay? Or did I really mess up the aerobic respiration, cell growth, cell division of a yeast starter. I'm worried that my overall flavor of the beer is going to be affected as well.

I bet you are ok. I think if there was too much gas you would have known about it in the form of a big bang.

Did you brew already? I don't think this is a huge thing but co2 is toxic to yeast and I've had kinda hit or miss results with slurry that is more than a couple of days old. If I had time, I would personally take some of the starter slurry and make a new starter. I'm pretty anal though and this is all chasing the last 5% of quality stuff.

I haven't yet. I might have to wait until the weekend though. Can I refrigerate until Thursday then make another starter wort with my current starter?

Back