Centennial Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VApatriot

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I have a question about the flavor of centennial hops. And before you flame me for not searching the forums, I did. I read the post with the vote for personal preference between cascade and centennial and other posts as well. So, here's my question, for those of you who have used centennial as a bittering hop, in your opinion, is the flavor of centennial citrusy at all? The reason that I'm asking is that I was given some centennial hop roots last March (was given some cascade and EKG also) and they all seem extremely happy. The centennial bines are already almost 3 feet tall and I expect to get a pretty good crop this year. I collected about 3 1/2 oz or so last year. The second batch I ever made was an extract kit that came with summit hops and I really didn't like that fruity, (IMO) citrusy flavor at all. So I really want to make something with centennial but not if it tastes citrusy, it just doesn't work for me. Thanks everyone.

Centennial IS citrusy, but if you use it for bittering, you won't get too much of that citrusy character at all. It's got a bit of an edge for bittering, which isn't necessarily bad- just plan accordingly.

I have only used about 3/4 of a pound (same bag) and I do get some citrus but it has a lot of spice to it and is very floral imo. I stopped using it for bittering but I really like it for very late additions and dry-hopping.

I just tapped a Pale Ale with a 50:50 mix of Simcoe:Centennial and I have now renamed that brew "Indian River Pale Ale". Grapefruit city but I think a lot of that is the Simcoe (which is very piney/citrusy to me).

Have you tried Bell's Two Hearted IPA or Founder's Centennial? They are both made entirely with Centennial hops. If you don't like that flavor then you can use them for bittering as suggested above.

I just made an IPA with Centennial for bittering, flavor, and dry hop. I agree that it will impart a citrus note, but what's more noticeable (as opposed to say just Cascade) is the spicy floral notes. The first impression I get from the beer is "floral" then "spice", and then some citrus fruit. Then again, the malt substrate is pretty aggressive, so it may subdue the citrus flavors and aromas to a degree.

I've read that a good substitute for centennial is half cascade and half columbus. Does this sound right?

I agree on the floral notes. To me it is floral first, citrus/spice second. But both are pretty prominent.

I've read that a good substitute for centennial is half cascade and half columbus. Does this sound right?

Yes I think this would work alright.

I just made an IPA with Centennial for bittering, flavor, and dry hop. I agree that it will impart a citrus note, but what's more noticeable (as opposed to say just Cascade) is the spicy floral notes. The first impression I get from the beer is "floral" then "spice", and then some citrus fruit. Then again, the malt substrate is pretty aggressive, so it may subdue the citrus flavors and aromas to a degree.

So by 'spicy floral notes' are you referring more to the aroma or to the taste?

I just made an IPA with Centennial for bittering, flavor, and dry hop. I agree that it will impart a citrus note, but what's more noticeable (as opposed to say just Cascade) is the spicy floral notes. The first impression I get from the beer is "floral" then "spice", and then some citrus fruit

I agree--everyone I know who tries Bell's Two-Hearted describes it somehow to the effect of "that's really floral!".

Floral in the nose, spice and citrus (and bitterness) on the palate. At least, that's my current experience. More citrus comes through something like BM's Centennial Blonde.

Centennial late hops give me some citrus but mostly floral and peppery.

Bells 2hearted is extreme in the floral/peppery flavor and Founders Centennial IPA seems very peppery.

The first time I used centennial, I remember saying, "Ewww- this tastes like f***ing flowers!" but it mellowed with a bit of time in the bottle and it ended up with a floral citrus note that I loved. I became a centennial fan right then, about 4-5 years ago.

It'd definitely got a citrus note to it, but not like cascade or amarillo.

I've made some IPAs with all Centennial and to me it's pure grapefruit. As they age the citrus calms a bit in favor of h floral/spice, but its nowhere near as perfumy as cascade IMO. Centennial is probably my favorite variety.

I've made some IPAs with all Centennial and to me it's pure grapefruit. As they age the citrus calms a bit in favor of h floral/spice, but its nowhere near as perfumy as cascade IMO. Centennial is probably my favorite variety.

I have made a few IPA's blending Centenial with Amarillo and they were yummy !!!!! The 2 work well together.
:mug:

Does anybody find centennial to come out a bit "catty"? I got some major notes of cattiness in the last IPA I brewed with centennial and I was wondering if the hops alone were responsible, or the malt-hops combination just happened to be catty?

Does anybody find centennial to come out a bit "catty"? I got some major notes of cattiness in the last IPA I brewed with centennial and I was wondering if the hops alone were responsible, or the malt-hops combination just happened to be catty?

I've described warm Schlitz as tasting like hair, but I have no idea what "catty" means as a flavor.

Catty, as in cat urine. Chinook and Simcoe are sometimes described as catty. I got a distinct cat pee aroma from Chinook in the past.
I never got that from Centennial. Just tons of grapefruit and some floral and spicy aroma. Mostly strong grapefruit though.

It must have been the hops and malt combination that gave off the strange aroma. I am growing some centennial so I'll be looking forward to trying this hop fresh.

I make a lot of beers with centennial and I never seem to get much 'grapefruit' flavor or aroma. Always seems like spicy-peppery, flowers. Though I recently brewed a batch of rye ipa with 100% centennial and the beer has a very intense honey aroma.

Back