Blow off tubing diameter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meatyboy

Reaction score
Just a quick question. Been looking around trying to figure the standard diameter of a carboy bung so I know what OD blow off tubing I need to get. I'm assuming 3/8" but we all know what happens when we assume.

What kind of bung are you using? The solid rubber ones you can fit a 3/8ths tube into, and yes, just make sure everythings wet with sanitizer and stick it right in there. I'll leave any teenage innuendo out this ;-)

If you have one of the universal ones like this:
http://www.homebrewing.org/Universal-Carboy-Bung-Drilled_p_1387.html

get a 1/2" tube and slide it over the nipple in the middle.

Same deal, just push it on there. Both hoses will seal. There won't be a ton of pressure in your fermenter unless the blowoff tube gets clogged, which CAN happen in a solid bung and 3/8" tube in my experience, but the 1/2" tube on the universal bung has never steered me wrong.

Lastly, if you have a hood, you can use either size, just stick it on the nipple of the appropriate diameter.

I use 1" inside diameter tubing for my carboys

Yes I use this for my glass carboys. You never have to worry about overloading the tube. I have seen some serious flow coming out of the tube in vigorous top-fermenting yeast. Not sure how a tiny tube would handle that, probably OK for most beers though.

I have a BetterBeer carboy. Plastic, obviously. Still learning my kit. Just got it in the mail today.

I use a 6.5 gal carboy and a 1" diameter blow off tube for the first week. It hasn't been necessary till my last batch-a hefeweizen-it went all the way through the tube to the other end dipped in star san.

006.jpg

I use a 6.5 gal carboy and a 1" diameter blow off tube for the first week. It hasn't been necessary till my last batch-a hefeweizen-it went all the way through the tube to the other end dipped in star san.

That's a glass carboy. The better bottle neck is much wider then that. I learned this the hardway buying a 1" tube because so many people do this, then getting home and realizing it doesn't fit the better bottle that the OP has.

Back