To weld or not to weld?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky Dog Brewing

Reaction score
I got my kegs and I cut the tops off. Now I ran out of money so I am waiting for the next step. I am debating on welding my bulk heads in (which I will have to have someone do for me) or do I go weldless.
I know that weldless will have cracks and creavices for bacteria and welding probably won't and I will have to replace gaskets at some point but...
How long do the gaskets last?
Is it that big of a deal to just take it apart to clean each time?
Just looking for some advice and feedback on both ways so hit me with as many suggestions and things to think about as possible. Thanks I appreciate it

BMW-LDB

If you're talking about an HLT, MLT or Kettle then you don't have to worry about bacteria. These are all preboil vessels.

There are a lot of people using weldless and they are completely happy with it. I welded all mine and I'm happy too. Gadgetry and overbuilding is part of the fun for me. The gaskets shouldn't wear out as they do not get dissassembled unless you have a leak.

Bobby_M said:
If you're talking about an HLT, MLT or Kettle then you don't have to worry about bacteria. These are all preboil vessels.

There are a lot of people using weldless and they are completely happy with it. I welded all mine and I'm happy too. Gadgetry and overbuilding is part of the fun for me. The gaskets shouldn't wear out as they do not get dissassembled unless you have a leak.

Oh yeah:drunk: I forgot it gets boiled so it doesn't matter. Thanks for pointing out the obvious. Are there down falls to either?

The only downfall to welding is getting a total hack job done that leaks and rusts. I haven't had this problem but I would be suspect of any welder that will weld a bunch of fittings for a six pack. The good welders around her work for $70 an hour and it takes at least 15 minutes per fitting.

Getting weldless fittings to seal is a bit of a trick and involved wrapping enough teflon tape on the threads to seal between the nipple and Oring. To me, this is just jury rigged and the reason I welded. I didn't say it won't work, it just feels cheap to me.

I agree. What i meant by find a welder that will work for beer is more so related to friends that weld. Most SS welding shops charge between 50-70 dollars per hour. Its a standard price issue, save money: get a crap job; pay top dollar: get a good weld. The other question is how often can you get your kegs? I have a fairly good supply of them when I need one, however you don't want to run out your buddies kindness by asking for keg after keg after keg... If you are paying for kegs, spend the money and have a reputable welding shop do a good job.

If it cost you 40 bucks per keg, plus 50 for a cheap job, thats 90... but say you have to get it redone or get a new keg, now your are at either 140 or 180.

Or pay 40 for the keg and get a highend setup for 110... You still save a buttload over a Bleichman or w/e they are called...

Is there any problem with the o-rings getting baked from the heat with the weldless fittings?

Welding was the way to go for me. I have a machine shop that I use for work related items (food manufacturing), so it just made sense to take the keg to them. I am on good terms with the owner and he was very reasonable. He also fabricated a SS false bottom.

Good sanitary welds are important for me because I also use my keg for bottling 10 gallon batches.

Anyone have any good leads on where to purchase quality weldless fittings at a reasonable price? I'm looking at a similar situation for 2 kegs and looking to add a ball valve and thermometer to both.

it's cheap enough and you don't have to worry. Find a stainless guy in the yellow pages and check him out. Chances are he does keggles all the time and has the parts on hand and can get it done in a day or so. You'd be surprised.

Back