Masstoberfest 2014

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The haters gonna hate, but we can't hear them over the noise at the after party, can we Paul?

Paul? Where did you go?

bikini-selfie_zps4147ca78.jpg

Cape, Pictures don't lie... Jesus, that cups been everywhere. Paul, maybe you can have Gisele make an appearance at Masstoberfest??

Hey all,
here's the recipe I used - a slightly tweaked version of Yooper's famous Oatmeal Stout. Below was cut and pasted from BeerSmith, so please let me know if anyone needs/wants additional info.

And sorry to clog up a thread started by PTN with Facts. So, in advance, GFY.

Thanks to Yooper's Oatmeal Stout

Oatmeal Stout (13 C)

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Boil Size: 13.67 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 11.96 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 10.30 gal
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage

Date: 11 Nov 2013
Brewer: Mort
Asst Brewer:
Equipment: Borderline Brewing Co.
Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.3 %
Taste Rating: 30.0

Taste Notes:

Prepare for Brewing

◯ Clean and Prepare Brewing Equipment
◯ Total Water Needed: 16.56 gal

10 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 44.6 %
4 lbs 11.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 19.9 %
2 lbs 1.5 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.9 %
1 lbs 9.1 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4 6.7 %
1 lbs 5.0 oz Chocolate Malt, PALE (200.0 SRM) Grain 5 5.6 %
1 lbs 0.8 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 6 4.4 %
1 lbs 0.8 oz Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM) Grain 7 4.4 %
1 lbs 0.8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 8 4.4 %
4.2 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 9 1.1 %

Mash Steps

Mash In Add 29.46 qt of water at 164.9 F to mash at 150.0 F for 75 min
◯ Fly sparge with 9.20 gal water at 168.0 F

◯ Add water to achieve boil volume of 13.67 gal
◯ Estimated pre-boil gravity is 1.046 SG

Boil Ingredients

4.30 oz Willamette [4.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 10 32.2 IBUs
◯ Estimated Post Boil Vol: 11.96 gal and Est Post Boil Gravity: 1.055 SG

Cool and Transfer Wort

Pitch Yeast and Measure Gravity and Volume

2 pkg British Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1335) [124.21 ml] Yeast 11 -
◯ Measure Actual Original Gravity _______ (Target: 1.055 SG)
◯ Measure Actual Batch Volume _______ (Target: 11.00 gal)
◯ Add water if needed to achieve final volume of 11.00 gal

Fermentation
◯ 11 Nov 2013 - Primary Fermentation (4.00 days at 67.0 F ending at 67.0 F)
◯ 15 Nov 2013 - Secondary Fermentation (10.00 days at 67.0 F ending at 67.0 F)

◯ Age beer for 30.00 days at 65.0 F
◯ 25 Dec 2013 - Drink and enjoy!

Hmm. now that I think about it, you asked about the milk stout, not the oatmeal stout. I had forgotten that I brewed both within a few weeks of each other, and stopped looking for recipes when I found the one for the other stout. Here's the recipe for the milk stout - based on a clone recipe for Left Hand Brewings Milk stout. I thought it a little sweet, and would probably scale back a bit on the lactose during the next batch.

Left Hand Brewing clone Milk Stout

Sweet Stout (13 B)

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Boil Size: 13.67 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 11.96 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 10.30 gal
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage

Date: 10 Aug 2013
Brewer: Mort
Asst Brewer:
Equipment: Borderline Brewing Co.
Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.7 %
Taste Rating: 30.0

◯ Total Water Needed: 16.80 gal

Mash or Steep Grains

1 lbs 8.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 1 5.4 %
18 lbs 0.6 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 64.9 %
2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.2 %
1 lbs 1.6 oz Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.0 %
1 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.6 %
13.2 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 6 3.0 %
9.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 7 2.0 %
8.8 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 8 2.0 %

Mash Steps

Mash In Add 31.97 qt of water at 166.1 F, mash at 151.0 F for 90 min
◯ Fly sparge with 8.81 gal water at 168.0 F

◯ Add water to achieve boil volume of 13.67 gal
◯ Estimated pre-boil gravity is 1.053 SG

Boil Ingredients

2 lbs 3.2 oz Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 9 7.9 %
1.40 oz Brewer's Gold [8.80 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 10 21.1 IBUs
0.55 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 11 4.5 IBUs
2.20 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 12 -
◯ Estimated Post Boil Vol: 11.96 gal and Est Post Boil Gravity: 1.063 SG

Cool and Transfer Wort
Pitch Yeast and Measure Gravity and Volume

Fermentation Ingredients

2 pkg London Ale Yeast (Wyeast Labs #1028)

Fermentation
◯ 10 Aug 2013 - Primary Fermentation (4.00 days at 67.0 F ending at 67.0 F)
◯ 14 Aug 2013 - Secondary Fermentation (10.00 days at 67.0 F ending at 67.0 F)

Hmm. now that I think about it, you asked about the milk stout, not the oatmeal stout. I had forgotten that I brewed both within a few weeks of each other, and stopped looking for recipes when I found the one for the other stout. Here's the recipe for the milk stout - based on a clone recipe for Left Hand Brewings Milk stout. I thought it a little sweet, and would probably scale back a bit on the lactose during the next batch.
<snip>

Grassyass Herr Wrecker.

Who has the Damn Drinkable IPA recipe? That was really good too. Oh and that different version of Graff that showed up late?

Hi All,
those numbers came out like that when I scaled the 5 gallon batch recipe up to 11 gallons in Beer Smith and I never bothered redoing the numbers, but I scaled them up or down to the nearest oz, or pound, such as the lactose. I used 2 #, but thought that was too much.

I checked my notes too, and used Wyeast 1028 London Ale on 5 gallons, and 1084 Irish yeast on the other 5. The beer I brought last year was with the London Ale yeast, and was a bit sweeter than the Irish ale yeast.

Yeah... I'm pretty sure my wife would try to kill me if I left that early because I'd be leaving her with my 5 month old, and 7 year old neither of which had woken up yet. Good to know that it's pretty much show up whenever.

On the plus side I convinced her to bake something for you guys. She has chosen Guinness Brownies from scratch. Should be really good.

As long as it's your wife making it from scratch.

I wouldn't want anything made from PTN's scratchings. Don't even think a pizza oven could purify that stuff.

hahaha... I just got caught up on the pizza oven thread... seriously you guy had me laughing hard enough my manager was starting to wonder what was up.

So i'm having a moment... did you say 'around 1PM' or am i not remembering correctly?

I'll be arriving "late" this year... I have a golf tourney to attend in the AM but please...start without me. I know it will be hard but, try to have some fun before I arrive :ban:

Hey guys, the wife and I are trying to make it to this but one of my friends decided to be a moron and went and got engaged. Now we have to go do our rounds at an engagement party in Waltham at 1pm. I could potentially get there by 4pm or so, so probably would be best if I don't try to add in the logistics of bringing and planning out a brew session. I'm more than happy to lug stuff around for people who are brewing Saturday though (despite being a scrawny 165lb weakling)

I could probably bring a couple 3 gallon kegs of some brews if someone is planning on having a jockey box there to use. I have a black rye IIPA, a bells 2 hearted clone, and a belgian pale ale that should be done dry hopping and carbing by Saturday.

Either way, we hope to make it and meet some local homebrewers. Will you be providing your address or did I miss that in this huge thread?

Also, just an FYI, there is a group buy that Crazyirishman and I are running in this thread. We still have a few weeks probably before we get enough orders, so feel free to join in. Pickup is at my house in Concord MA.

If you can't make it on time don't bother coming.

Just kidding. No one is punching a time clock, its a BBQ. Come when you can, leave when you must, stay if you drink too much. Kegs of beer are always welcome, we'll manage to get you onto a jockey box somewhere. Maybe not all day, bring a few picnic taps just in case.

And anyone showing up before sunrise will be shot. Anyone showing up before noon will be put to work.

PM me for the address.

If you can't make it on time don't bother coming.

Just kidding. No one is punching a time clock, its a BBQ. Come when you can, leave when you must, stay if you drink too much. Kegs of beer are always welcome, we'll manage to get you onto a jockey box somewhere. Maybe not all day, bring a few picnic taps just in case.

And anyone showing up before sunrise will be shot. Anyone showing up before noon will be put to work.

PM me for the address.

If I can fire up my kettle at noon thirty ish I'm all in for working.

Thinking I'm going to end up just doing an APA/IPA this weekend, not a steinbier; I'll just help out Smurfmeat with his.

Favor to ask the crowd, though; anyone heading to a homebrew shop in the next few days? I've got plenty of malt and hops, but I'm completely bereft of any yeast at the moment. Could someone pick me up a pack of US05 and I'll pay you on Saturday?

I'll need to stop by a shop on my way. I need to pick up a new fermentation bucket, so I can pick one up if needed.

Thank you, Paulie!

You still want me to bring down that yellow caution tape? You should probably cordon off the pizza oven; it'd be a real shame if someone breathed on it wrong and the whole thing collapsed.

I have to stop by TWB thursday nite for steinbrau fixun's, i can pick up anything you may need. let me know ... i will arrive around noonish to start thet thar
fiah' ..... Jay, .... smurfmeat :confused::confused:

Back