Math for Beer Geeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shellerb

Reaction score

What is missing from the equation? I've never had Pliny the Elder except for the clone of it that I made.

I will be drinking Pliny on tap in a couple weeks. And my truck will be loaded with bottles!!

Sent from my XT907 using Home Brew mobile app

Had my first Pliny on Saturday. It was very good but it didn't live up to the hype in my opinion. Of course it would have had to taste like gold nuggets sprinkled with fairy dust to live up to the hype but I digress...

Hopslam is my #1, so when I went to San Diego a couple years ago to try Pliny, I went in believing it couldn't dethrone it. While Hopslam still remains my #1, I really enjoyed Pliny. Very easy to drink (a bit easier to drink than Hopslam in terms of alcohol feel), but I feel I like the hop profile of Hopslam a bit more.

But, it probably depends on the person. I get Hopslam every year (I'm from MI) and only get Pliny when I get to SD.

Hopslam is my #1, so when I went to San Diego a couple years ago to try Pliny, I went in believing it couldn't dethrone it. While Hopslam still remains my #1, I really enjoyed Pliny. Very easy to drink (a bit easier to drink than Hopslam in terms of alcohol feel), but I feel I like the hop profile of Hopslam a bit more.

That sounds like the batch of Pliny that I brewed... smoother than Hopslam, but with less citrusy aroma/taste than Hopslam. Honestly, I like the Dead Ringer (Two-Hearted clone) from Northern Brewer a little better than the Pliny batch. Still, I'd love to try the real thing sometime (and the Younger) to compare to mine.

Back