Plastic bottle warning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shambolic

Reaction score
I thought I'd pass on some wisdom from my LHBS. I once inquired about plastic bottles, and they told me they had tested them as follows:

They made a batch of brown ale, and bottled half in glass and half in plastic (the brown PET bottles that are sold with some kits). Apparently after a few months, the stuff in glass was nice, and the stuff in plastic almost undrinkable.

Make of this what you will...

There are many kinds of plastic - some are more air-impermeable than others. That could be a factor.

I see no reason to try to improve on what has worked for centuries.

I am fairly new to home brewing (on my third batch) I have mostly used plastic bottles, a combination of soday bottles and green 500 ml plastic beer blottles. Though My brews havent lasted months ( because they taste good and I drink them) I havent had any troubles. I plan on getting more Grolshe bottles and a capper eventualy but for now plastic is cheap and seems to work for me even with the porter I brewed.

Plastic is just fine, ive been brewing for 4 years now doing a combination of plastic and glass and no problem, maybe its the cheap soda bottles?

i hear that lots of people youse soda bottles... i think thats what i am gonna youse on my first batch....

Back