WLP545 and Pie Spice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr1nkBeer

Reaction score
So, like i posted on another topic that i just got done with my pumpkin ale and i pitched wlp545... My reasoning is due to the spicey characters it could bring to the table.:mug:

I'm wondering if I can get some backing on this idea?.. as i cant seem to find anyone who has used this strain for pumpkin ales... :drunk:

I just finished fermenting a Belgian dubbel with around 4 lbs of pumpkin added to the mash a few weeks ago (can't remember which Belgian strain I used off the top of my head). I'm going to do some bench tests on a pumpkin pie spice tincture to figure out my dosing for the full batch. So, I don't see anything wrong with your idea as I'm doing the same thing. My thought process is the same as yours, I bet the Belgian yeast character would go well with pumpkin spice. But, I'm in the middle of dry-walling my garage so the beer is sitting in the primary clearing...hopefully I will get around to playing with it in the next week or so as I want it ready for Thanksgiving.

Pumpkin Dubbel sounds nice... hopefully it mesh's well but even if it doesnt it should be a good brew.

Old thread, but how did it go?
Im brewing a pumking clone this weekend and splitting the batch to ferment half with the wlp 545 strain. It sounds like it'll meld well but still a little concerned the pie spice and yeast spice may clash.

bulldawgbrewer said:
Old thread, but how did it go?
Im brewing a pumking clone this weekend and splitting the batch to ferment half with the wlp 545 strain. It sounds like it'll meld well but still a little concerned the pie spice and yeast spice may clash.

IIRC I was not a fan of what I produced. However it was more so the pumpkin than anything. If I made it again it would have no pumpkin and just stick with the spices.

Back