First All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DjinnNTawnik

Reaction score
Made my first all grain brew tonight. went something like this

1 gallon batch

1lb wheat malt
1lb carmel malt
1/2 lb chocolate malt

mashed for 1 hr at 155

boiled for 1 hr with 1 oz cascade hops 7.2 AA

at 50 min steeped another 1/2 lb chocolate malt

then dry hopped with 1/2 oz sterling hops 6.0AA

Thinking this will turn our killer. will keep everyone updated

40% caramel malt and 20% chocolate malt? That's really high for either of those.

And what do you mean steep a 1/2# of chocolate malt at 50 min? Did you boil it?

Going for something akin to a sweet stout. And yes the remainder choc malt was used for the last 10 of the boil similar to black malt in stout. Also forgot to post og 1.020 and srm 30.

Ohhhhh...k. Read up a lot more on the brewing process and adjust your routine and recipes. Your specialty grains are off the charts and you NEVER boil grains. Not to come off harsh but ask more questions here and read a good book on brewing.

Update: after 18 hrs gravity went from 1.020 to .99. Realizing I was gonna have an extremely weak brew I added 4 cups apple juice blended with 1.5 c honey. Grav went to 1.050 when mixed with the batch and after 1 hr is bubbling away. Guess I'm making graff. Hope this goes well.

Further evidence why when people ask me where I'm from I say Kansas (born there) even though I live in Ohio.

Update. Bottled today. OG 1.050 FG 1.000 abv should be arround 6.7. Primed with 1.2 oz table sugar disolved in 1/4 cup water. Taste of flat brew was great. Slight after taste from tannins, but nothing an extra couple of weeks in the bottle wont mellow out. Flavor was very much like Guinness, but the cascade hops gave a nict back citrus note. will follow up when i crack a bottle

DjinnNTawnik said:
Update. Bottled today. OG 1.050 FG 1.000 abv should be arround 6.7. Primed with 1.2 oz table sugar disolved in 1/4 cup water. Taste of flat brew was great. Slight after taste from tannins, but nothing an extra couple of weeks in the bottle wont mellow out. Flavor was very much like Guinness, but the cascade hops gave a nict back citrus note. will follow up when i crack a bottle

Bravo...a committed troll!

DjinnNTawnik said:

I don't see how this could possibly taste like Guinness

First, I am sry about the improperly typed link here is the pic
Beer.jpg
. Second, the definition of an internet troll is someone who posts deliberately inflammatory or off topic things in a forum to annoy or anger the users. I have done none of those things. The only thing I tried to do here was share the experience I had making my first brew. I understand I made some rookie mistakes that could have been avoided by asking a few more questions, but that doesn't make me a troll. To everyone who posted constructive criticism, or funny quips here thank you. To everyone else, all you succeeded in doing was taking some of the fun away from a guy brewing his very first batch of beer.

DjinnNTawnik said:
First, I am sry about the improperly typed link here is the pic. Second, the definition of an internet troll is someone who posts deliberately inflammatory or off topic things in a forum to annoy or anger the users. I have done none of those things. The only thing I tried to do here was share the experience I had making my first brew. I understand I made some rookie mistakes that could have been avoided by asking a few more questions, but that doesn't make me a troll. To everyone who posted constructive criticism, or funny quips here thank you. To everyone else, all you succeeded in doing was taking some of the fun away from a guy brewing his very first batch of beer.

Hey dont feel bad one who calls one a troll is useally trolling himeself i would try your beer :)

update: after 3 days bottles are rock hard. cracked a bottle, and SOB, even though i made some boo boos, i made a drinkable beer. i tasted it next to a bottle of guinness i had in the fridge, and it's so close its scary. here's a pic BEER

Back