Only 2 bottles of ORVAL, how do I save the dregs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elproducto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
ORVAL was only a limited release here, and I'm unable to get anymore than the 2 that I have.

I hear great things about using the dregs.. is there a method by which I can build up the dregs to use, similar to the way I wash yeast?

Just do as if you were making up a starter, boil up some dme, cool it and add the dregs of both bottles to it.

Flaming the lip of the bottle is a good idea, or spraying it with starsan.

If you don't plan on drinking both bottles in one sitting, I've been successful with sanitizing a fresh cap and re-capping the bottle, and leaving it for a few days in the fridge with about 1/4 of beer left behind. Just make sure to give it a good swirl before hand.

Thanks Revvy. So can I step it up to use in multiple batches? Or is that even worth it?

Of course. That's how you grow your yeastbank. You could also build up enough for 1 brew then wash all that yeast and store it after. But often if I'm not brewing anytime soon, and want to harvest the yeast, I'll just build up a big starter and jar that.

Back