Was planning to go to work today, but woke up to this....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r8rphan

Reaction score
Took yesterday off, as a big storm was predicted... Only a couple inches fell, so I scheduled work for today, thinking I dodged the bullet...

It's still falling... There's already 4-6" more than in these photos I took a couple hours ago..

Thought I was through with plowing for the winter... It might be too deep now for the quad.. a good 18"-24" and still accumulating... I have about a third of a mile to plow out to get to the county plowed road.. If I plow the access paths to my woodshed and what not, I have over a 1/2 mile to plow... I just might have to call in the Calvary..

My van ain't pushing through 'this'.. (There's a ladder rack with ladders somewhere on top of the van)
Snow_022511_02.jpg

The handicap ramp I built for the older dog has 18" on it.. On the far right of the picture, there is a picnic table with almost 3 feet on it.. and it's under the trees and doesn't get direct accumulation..
Snow_022511_01.jpg

Snow_022511_06.jpg

Snow_022511_03.jpg

Snow_022511_04.jpg

This makes me so glad my parents moved us away from the frozen wasteland that is Canada to sunny Phoenix AZ. I don't ever have to shovel snow, and while I love snowboarding , I only have to drive 2 hours to do it.

There's about 7-8 months out of the year when this place is paradise... You pay a price for it sometimes during the other 4-5 months though...

I just googled shingletown, and saw it is east of Redding. When working for a company doing CalTrans bridgework, I spent 5 months in Redding, and did some work on a bridge by Trinity Lake. It truely is beautiful up there, and it is nice and warm (which I really like) in the Summer.

Man, there's at least 2' out there.. I just went out and shoveled off the stoop out back, and cleared the ramp so the older dog could go to the bathroom...

She, not being about to see any different, jumped off the side of the ramp into the snow.. She disappeared.. She's a 65 lb weim/lab mix...

Sow, I've shoveled a path out to the closest tree, and cleared the stoop, and my feet are all cramped up.. So that's enough till later...

This is gonna be a fun couple days moving enough of this crap to get in and out.....

Oh well, maybe there won't be anymore big snows after this one.. On the bright side, this should help the snow pack in the higher altitudes, so that we don't have to worry about dry wells, empty lakes and streams, or above normal fire danger this summer...

Well, I'm officially snowed in.. It's just too much for my quad to push through... I've just about yanked my shoulders out of socket jerking that thing backwards every time it got stuck (which was dozens of times)...

In over an hour and a half of trying, I cleared maybe 1500-2000 sq feet.. It's tearing up the quad and the road base underneath... And not even a drop in the bucket of what needs to be cleared to get to the county maintained road (probably less than 1/2 of 1%)...

Jacuzzi tub tonite.... I'm tore up...

This makes me so glad my parents moved us away from the frozen wasteland that is Canada to sunny Phoenix AZ. I don't ever have to shovel snow, and while I love snowboarding , I only have to drive 2 hours to do it.
I unfortunately am in that frozen wasteland of Calgary missing Texas Greatly. I am trying to figure out how to brew when it was -15 this morning.

Looks like a dusting to me...hahahaha

You sir, obviously have a bigger plow than I do! :D

Well the sun just came out... If it stays sunny maybe I can leave my house in a couple weeks.... :cross:

Fortunately, I have plenty of homebrew... :mug:

I came home early today. Supposed to get like 14 inches. I also have some homebrew. Hope this is the last big storm. Been a long winter.

I took a nap, and woke up to another 4" of some 'very' wet and heavy snow...

What sux about snow this time of year, is the snow tends to be wet and heavy... Which makes it much harder to shovel and plow, as it's heavy and sticks to the blade, and then when it begins to thaw, it becomes a slushy mess that is near impossible to drive through, and then freezes into solid ice...

Only a little more than 3 weeks until the official start of spring... looking forward to it...

Maybe by next winter, I can have a plow on my jeep and I can do that plowing stuff in the comfort of a heated cab without dressing up like the michelen man, and maybe even enjoy a cup of coffee while doing it...

More of that damned crap is coming down, pretty heavy too.. LOL

This storm was supposed to blow out of here by noon.. Weathermen.. go figure...

Just finished digging out a path about 80' from the house to the wood shed... Now it's gonna get filled up again...

I need a drink.... :drunk:

Just looked on line..

Predicting more snow next tuesday, and then two to three days of rain after that..

Rain on top of this stuff.. That should be fun!

I think I need several drinks..:drunk:

Well, I did want to get in shape...

Just wasn't planning on doing it all in one weekend...

Wasn't able to get any help plowing my place out.. So between friday night and just now, I hand dug a 6' trench through an average of 2' of snow from the front of my van to the garage, along the side of the property to the front gate and then along 165' of easement to the connecting dirt road where one of my neighbors had paid to have plowed on friday...

Counting the trench I dug to the wood shed friday, that's well over 400' linear by 6' wide of snow shoveling.. I'm freaking exhausted..

It's now wide enough to use the plow on my quad to widen it all out.. I already did most of what's on my property, and now just have to widen out the easement...

Gonna rest for a bit, then take a picture of the hand dug trench down the easement, and get to plowing.. Then all that's left before I can escape is to dig around my van and a 5' x 25' section in front of the garage...

More snow coming tonite... but it's only supposed to be an inch or two, and then the same tomorrow night...

Talk about a chore! Feeling my age today! Probably 14-16 hours of shoveling... Me pooped!

I gotta get a plow for the jeep before next winter.. some how, some way...

That's terrible, I debated going swimming this weekend. I decided no to, to many kids in the pool.

HaHa.. Velly phuny! :mug:

It could have been worse.. There are a bunch of people in a neighboring county whose power has been out since early friday morning...

Been there, done that.. and that sux.. I'd rather shovel for a few hours each day and come home to a warm house with the power on.......

It's not powder anymore... About half of it has been melted down by above freezing temps in the daytime, and then a day of rain... Now it's a big slushy, muddy mess, that is difficult to drive through even with chains on the van.. I even almost got my Jeep YJ stuck in it yesterday in 4wd when I went to get the mail...

Got a couple more days of above freezing daytime tempos before the next round hits.. hopefully, it will be mostly melted off of the dirt roads before then.. As that is likely to be at least partly rain too, which will just create even more slush...

Back