Long Ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ras Skipper

Reaction score
Hi,
Made two batches of grape wine. The first on the 15th Sept' and the second on the 23rd. The second load stopped fermenting after about 10 days (1090- 1000)
The first batch is still bubling away (and its cloudy, whereas the other is nice and clear) The gavity is down to about 1002.

Also. Can I use pectolase at this late stage to help clear it?
(second batch had it added to it, but not the first)

Sure, you can add pectic enzyme at any time. I'm guessing it's NOT a pectin haze though- it's just cloudy because it's still fermenting. Give it some time, and it should finish up and clear when it's done.

Thanks, but why would this one still be fermenting when the first lot (its the same) is not.
Oh, one thing. The old man who lent me his stuff for this, told me to blend the grapes with a blender(LOL) And i did. This maybe why it's cloudy? (The second batch I DID NOT BEND!!)

Thanks, but why would this one still be fermenting when the first lot (its the same) is not.
Oh, one thing. The old man who lent me his stuff for this, told me to blend the grapes with a blender(LOL) And i did. This maybe why it's cloudy? (The second batch I DID NOT BEND!!)

Well, fermenting time depends on such a huge variety of factors like temperature, nutrients, yeast health, etc, that each fermentation is different. From Sept. 23 to today isn't at all what I would consider "very long" anyway.

Yeah, the blender is a bad idea probably. It must have been really hard to press those grapes when you went to press them!

LOL.
Right, I racked it. Addedd pectolase. Topped of with a little reseved stuff.
Now I will await the clearing (if any)
I'll post the results soon. Otherwise i'll wait for a month or two to see what happeds before considering fining.

Thanks

Slighty off topic, but the wine has been sitting there since mid Sept; tasted them both, the first is nice and dry, the second is SOOO sour!

Is there a remedy for this??

ps

I have also read that the addition of sugar could be a possible solution < :) > to this problem???

I have 2 batches. The second is the one in which I did not blend them. It is soooo sour lol....help

Back