Fermenting my Oktoberfest at ale temps with lager yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunt234

Reaction score
So, I brewed a batch of Oktoberfest style beer from my LHB store. This being my fourth brew, I figured I would forgo the instructions. No big deal right? I racked the wort to the fermenter, pitched the yeast, put the lid and airlock on.

Happy with myself, and the healthy buzz I had going, I cracked my 5th or so beer, and looked at the yeast packet on the counter. Lager yeast! whoops. Since I don't have the capability to keep it at lager temps while fermenting, I just figured I'd let it do its thing and see how it turned out. It fermented at around 68.

It's been three weeks now in the primary, and during the first few days it bubbled away just as I expected it to.

I guess my questions are: is this going to taste like crap? should I do anything special before I bottle? Any suggestions whatsoever would be helpful.

Thanks!!

My 1554 Clone from AHS was supposed to use Lagar yeast at Ale temps. So just enjoy it. You will add some yeast flavor contributions but you may find them a pleasant addition to the brew.

I'm not sure what the result would be. However, for future reference, there is a really popular OkctoberFAST recipe here on the forum. I haven't tried it yet but I will as soon as my Helles is done. It uses Kolsch Ale yeast at 66˚F. I am using the yeast from my Helles for the OktoberFAST.

Is it the Brewers Best kit? I just put that together myself. The dry yeast provided can work as both a lager and ale yeast, but they lager is prefered. Your just going to get a more fruity beer than if you lagered it.

Your in Cincinnati, got a garage you can put it in? My garage stays a pretty steady 50° this time of year.

Back