Doesnt this seem high???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyK68

Reaction score
Brewed tonight. Wanted to make an American Pale Ale. After taking the SG I thought it was a little high for what was used. What do you guys think...

6Lbs of Muntons Light DME
1LB of Muntons Amber DME
.5lb of Crystal 60L

Steeped the Crystal (Steeped higher then I should of (170*) ) for 30 mins and then let the hop sock drain for about 10 mins after dipping 3 or 4 times.
Main boil was 2 Gals.

SG I got before pitching was 1.062. This is going to be a bit stronger then I wanted it to be. Dosent that seem like a high SG? I know my hydrometer is correct, and it was a reading taken @ 70*. What do you guys think?

Thank you for the VERY quick response I appreciate it. Thinking I will just leave it alone and see how it is. Sometimes when you make a mistake, it turns out to be for the better...LOL!

I calculated OG to be 1.058 using 5 gallons. Is your reading of 1.062 @ 70*f using the temperature correction? Not much of a change to account for ~ .0012 adjustment.

I recently brewed the following:

5lbs 11oz Muntons light DME
1 lb Muntons amber DME
8oz Crystal 60*
4oz Victory Grain
1oz Chocolate
1oz Willamette @ 60min
1oz Willamette @ 10min

And had an OG of .063. Seems like you're just 'bout right to me. ;)

Any way to estimate the FG? I used Nottingham dry ale yeast.

[/shameless thread hijack]

Sounds about right to me!

Remember, Dried Malt Extract (DME) is a bit more 'potent' or concentrated than Liquid Malt Extract (LME); this could be where your 'error' came in.

I would guess the OG would have been around 1.050-1.055 range if you had used 7lb. LME, but since you used DME, it was bumped up a bit from where you wanted it...

Do a search for and download Qbrew for free. I put in 5 gallon batch, 7 pounds of DME and it puts the OG at exactly 1.063. Estimated FG is 1.016 with a potential ABV of 6.3%.

I think you'll get close to the FG because Nottingham is a pretty good attenuator. I'd be happy with anything under 1.020.

Bobby_M said:
Do a search for and download Qbrew for free. I put in 5 gallon batch, 7 pounds of DME and it puts the OG at exactly 1.063. Estimated FG is 1.016 with a potential ABV of 6.3%.

I think you'll get close to the FG because Nottingham is a pretty good attenuator. I'd be happy with anything under 1.020.

Thanks, Bobby. I knew there was a free program out there, I just couldn't remember the name. :mug:

I had been using the calculator on the Tasteybrew web sight. That is where I came up with the #s I did. I will have to look at that Qbrew. Thanks.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, those recipes sound really good. Pretty close to an American Amber I made a few weeks back. Has to age a little, but it's pretty dang good. Nice and malty!!!

Back