Burr to cone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoman

Reaction score
What kinda timeline am I lookin at here? I planted my rhyzomes in containers during late March (started them in a sun-room indoors because of snow and freezing weather), now they're all about 15ft and two Cascades and a Centennial are covered in burrs. How long does it take for burrs to mature to ripe hops? I've read harvest is late August-ish, but at the rate they're growing, I'm having trouble believing that it'll take that long. Anybody have any ideas?

Yep, August-September. Sorry, you're just going to have to wait. I have cones that are over an inch already. I'm hoping that they get real big. :)

I think the length of the day makes a difference when the hops burr out and the cones ripen. In Wisconsin I picked my hops late in August last year (the 25th?).

To uechikid: Do the cones really get bigger if the plant flowers sooner? If you've got 1" cones now those will be some big juicy ones this fall. I'm getting real thirsty now :)

To uechikid: Do the cones really get bigger if the plant flowers sooner? If you've got 1" cones now those will be some big juicy ones this fall. I'm getting real thirsty now :)

I can't really answer your question. This is the second year so I don't know what to expect. Hoping for great big lupulin laden cones. :mug:

Back