Looking to begin brewing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MatthewBrewer

Reaction score
I have always loved to sample mocrobrews when I travel, and now I think I want to try and brew my own. I was hopping you nice people could suggest some helpful books to read up on and maybe a starter brew kit. All info is appreciated.

"joy of homebrewing" by Charlie Papazian is a good book. Cheesy pics / looks like early 80s LOL but very informative! Also, check around your area locally for clubs / local supply stores.. the wealth of first hand / verbal information is invaluable. We just started and have only kegged two batches with wonderful and very gratifying results.. aka great beer! (although stumbles here and there and initial costs)

I'm not really sure about books, I have gotten most of my reading online.

As for kits, I started with a Mr. Beer, but it is small. But then I found one of the plastic 5 gal water bottles, cleaned it up, and cut batches down for 4 gallons instead of 5.

You can modify the recipes you find online to fit what you want/need for the size batch you will make.

No need to spend a fortune for testing a hobby out.

Then once your addicted, you can spend all of your money on brewing supplies! :mug:

I started 1 month ago brewing Festabrew kit, Read alot and alot all over the forum and got all the information to brew all grain now. Was my second time today, first one was saturday, and everything went well. Be sure to get good stuff, easier when youre equipped with it

buy Palmer's book. it has alot of info I refer back to plus the one online isn't the latest edition. When you are there getting ready to brew its nice to have that book right there. Once you read it and get a feel for the process you can read here and make sense of what people are talking about and formulate your own process. That will lead you to the right eqt and recipes for you. I would also recommend brewing software when the time comes to start brewing, especially all grain.

I am fairly new to brewing as well (6-months). What helped me get started was to read as much as I could find. Palmers book was a huge help, as was Papazian's. Also, if there are no clubs in your area, check out some instructional videos on YouTube. It helped me a lot to be able to see the whole process take place.

Be warned...this is really addicting!

I'm pretty new at it still with just 4 extract batches under my belt. One thing I can say is I'm glad I spent the money for a kegging system before I started. It makes it all real simple and the beer tastes great.

Thanks for the info guys. I am starting to read Palmer's guide. After I finish it I will probably buy the new edition as someone suggested. I can already tell this site is going to be huge help once I actually get my first few brews.

I am a noob as well and I am reading How to brew.. Brewing for dummies.... Extreme brewing... Tasting beer... Brewing classic styles... I bought some and others I checked out from my local library. They all will get you started. i'm on my 3rd batch which was a recipe from extreme brewing ( Blood orange hefeweizen ) And I haven't even tasted my first batch yet. A pale ale that is in bottles and has two more weeks to go. I hope it is good.

A little money upfront, a little reading and asking questions, a LOT of good sanitizing, a little patience, and you will be drinking some awesome beer before you know it!

Good luck and keep us posted!!

I read Joy of Homebrewing before I attempted anything. I found it very helpful. I also brewed a kit the first time, which offered step by step instructions.

I definitely agree you should pick up Joy of Homebrewing and read howtobrew.com. If you can find locals (online or through your local homebrew shop) who can help that would be a plus. If all else fails, buy a kit and follow the instructions to get your feet wet.

Back