Sanitizing Hands?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herkojerko

Reaction score
Since you are going to be handling all the sanitized tubes and syphons and all of that is liquid hand sanitizer good enough? Thanks

I usually just avoid touching the ends of the hoses and the mouths of any of the containers I'm using. If I'm really concerned, I wear some rubber gloves and swish them around in my sanitizing solution.

I used to be kind of a freak about it. However I never used rubber gloves. :looks sarcastically at Yuri: But I did wash my hands over and over again and dip them in sanitizer all the time.

I've come to the realization that you just need to be careful. Wash them before you start, after you touch anything nasty(like when you scratch your n@ds) and like Yuri said avoid touching certain parts of my equipment. Oh, I guess that last one contradicts what I said earlier.

I'll rinse them off in the bucket of sanitizer I keep on brew day, but yeah, it's just being reasonably smart and taking common-sense precautions.

I think my hands hit the Star-san enough while brewing that I don't worry too much about it. Then again, since I don't have to use a racking cane to transfer my wort to my fermentor my hands never touch my wort or anything else that touches my wort post-boil.

I do wash my hands before starting any racking process later on.

Do not use a hand sanitizer! Most of them have ingredients in them that you do not want in your beer. The sanitizing solution you use on your equipment works just fine for your hands.

I use hand sanitizer all the time, and nothing bad has ever happened. The time when I use it the most is when I'm straining into primary. The amount that you use on your hands is not enough to do bad things to your beer...and it's mostly ethyl alcohol anyway. But starsan will work too.

the_bird said:
I like to scratch my nose and pick my ass, you think I'll be OK?
That's fine. In that order, though. I've even hear that Uncle Charlie's original slogan was "Relax, don't worry, pick you ass of you have to, have a homebrew!".

I think the editors must have got to it.....

Fiery Sword said:
That's fine. In that order, though. I've even hear that Uncle Charlie's original slogan was "Relax, don't worry, pick you ass of you have to, have a homebrew!".

I think the editors must have got to it.....

It's particularly important to make sure you pick your ass sufficiently when brewing a brown ale. I've heard that you should mash them down the back of your pants for a minimum of thirty to forty minutes. Make sure to stir occassionally.

You can't really sanitize your hands. Scrub them well, and don't touch anything that has been sanitized.

I use alcohol wipes for my hands. Just grab one and wipe my hands down before I handle anything that will contact the beer. You can buy them in bulk pretty cheaply at any med supply store.

Back