"wild" hops unique flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnderThePorchBrewing

Reaction score
My Father in law has some hops at his house which were planted at least 50 yrs ago by his father and mother in their garden. I brewed a very easy american amber extract with s-05 partially assuming they may be cluster just to see what they tasted like. the brew when bottled had a distinctly marigold flower flavor and aroma no bitterness at all. It was awful. this lasted for at least 3 months until I stopped trying them. fast forward 9 months and I was going to throw them out and now they taste similar to a Belgian yeast flavor, no bitterness. anyone have an idea what they could be?

I've found that rancid vegetal flavor only in homegrown hops that were not dried properly or completely. Either exposed to air for too long or packaged before they were completely dry. What did they smell like on the bine?

they smelled good, citrusy with some flower scent. they dried ok and were vacuum sealed in a mason jar and in the freezer for 3 months. I am guessing they were planted by his mom rather than his father as she did garden. the flowery flavor was not really rancid just tasted like a marigold smells. my gut tells me they are just ornamental but just wanted to check

I've never run across a hop described as "marigold". Ornamental hops are often grown from seed and hops do not breed true, so there's no definite way of knowing what you have.

Back