EPA to regulate CO2 - what does it mean to us?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonedef131

Reaction score
I just got an AP alert saying the EPA will declare greenhouse gases a danger to human health and they must be regulated. Is there a chance in hell hobbyists will be able purchase CO2 or are we all going to have to go back to bottle/cask conditioning?

Hopefully this will turn out to be something that only effects auto/factory released gases, but a regulated gas is a regulated gas and I hope we don't have to jump through hoops to get it.

Edit: can a mod change the title to "EPA" please?

Yeah, I am quite confident we're good. Driving to pick up your CO2 releases nearly as much CO2 as is in the actual canister (ok, well maybe if it is a longer drive). 5 pound CO2 tanks aren't really worth the time to even legislate against.

The CO2 we buy is just compressed (typically out of the air) and purified. It isn't manufactured specifically for dispensing, just recycled.

What about microbreweries that don't have CO2 recycling systems?

Haven't seen any mention of breweries at all.Seems cars will be the first because they are easier to single out then the power utilities. Don't most of the breweries use the sealed fermentation system where the CO2 given off by the yeast is used to carb the beer ?

I just got an AP alert saying the EPA will declare greenhouse gases a danger to human health and they must be regulated. Is there a chance in hell hobbyists will be able purchase CO2 or are we all going to have to go back to bottle/cask conditioning?

Hopefully this will turn out to be something that only effects auto/factory released gases, but a regulated gas is a regulated gas and I hope we don't have to jump through hoops to get it.

Edit: can a mod change the title to "EPA" please?

For the moment, I don't think we have anything to worry about; but then these climate nazis also want to slap a tax on ranchers & dairy farmers because they think that flatulent cattle contribute to "global warming," so anything could happen eventually. I mean, who the hell thought anyone would actually get away with banning cigarette smoking outside? Regards, GF.

Currently in NYC I pay a $5 HAZMAT fee for CO2. It's only a matter of time before it's fully regulated. The Gubbermint has to make their money somehow.

B

For the moment, I don't think we have anything to worry about; but then these climate nazis also want to slap a tax on ranchers & dairy farmers because they think that flatulent cattle contribute to "global warming," so anything could happen eventually. I mean, who the hell thought anyone would actually get away with banning cigarette smoking outside? Regards, GF.

I always thought that notion was hilarious. If they want to go that far, then I think they need to recognize that the planet will be overpopulated by humans giving off CO2 if it hasn't already, and that humans should be equally regulated. But of course, that would affect them and we can't have any of that, now, can we?

Back