lager fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcopolo

Reaction score
I was wondering what type of equipment you use for fermenting your lagers. I'm trying to decide on whether a dedicated fridge, chest freezer or homemade fermentation chiller would be best. Thanks. Marco

I've have a chest freezer that I removed the original thermostat from and replaced it with one I robbed from a window a/c unit. 55 degrees is about the lower end of the t-stat range but when I need to lager it goes to another chest freezer using a t-stat from a fridge.

I was using a kegger but I sold it. Lager ferments were such a PITA for me. During primary fermentation the other beer had to be served at the ferment temps. I have lagering capabilities in my main fridge, so I'm going to track basement temps and see if I ever get into the range to properly ferment a real lager. It'll be close.

chest freezer with either johnson controls A419 (best) or A19 (good) external controller. I would craigslist the chest freezer as many people sell them cheap. Ebay for temp controller. BTW you don't need to take the controller out of the freezer as described above if you use one of these temp controllers.

chest freezer with either johnson controls A419 (best) or A19 (good) external controller. I would craigslist the chest freezer as many people sell them cheap. Ebay for temp controller. BTW you don't need to take the controller out of the freezer as described above if you use one of these temp controllers.
Two dedicated chest freezers and controlers. One for ferment, one for lagering...

Latest posts

Back