Cinco de Mayo Bread (in the bread machine)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just made this last night, and it was GREAT! It made fantastic toast this morning, too.

1 cup water
1 TBSP olive oil
1/2 cup whole kernel corn (frozen) (you could use canned, but drain well!)
1/4 cup canned diced green chilis (drained)
1/2 TBSP jalapeno (about 1 whole one)
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
3 cups white bread flour
1 1/2 TBSP sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup cornmeal
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons active dry yeast.

Bake on "white bread" setting.

This could have used more zip, so I'll double the jalapenos next time. Otherwise, it was perfect.

How would one go about baking this w/o a bread machine. It sounds mighty tasty, and I've got some smoked chorizo that would go great with it.

How would one go about baking this w/o a bread machine. It sounds mighty tasty, and I've got some smoked chorizo that would go great with it.

Easy! Just knead it by hand for 10-15 minutes, adding a bit more white flour to keep it from sticking as you knead. When the dough is smooth and elastic, allow it to rise (double in bulk) in an oiled boil. That should take about an hour. Then, punch it down and place it in a lightly greased baking pan. Let it rise again, and bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes, until lightly golden browned.

If you have a kitchen aid mixer, you can knead it with the dough hook. Otherwise, by hand is fine but time consuming!

*sigh* I only dream of having a Kitchen Aid mixer, it is the only appliance I don't have and really want. By hand is fine though. Thanks, yoop

Latest posts

Back