got my ingredients, what should I do with em???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDrunkChef

Reaction score
Ok, my neighbor got me into this and I am more than ready to start brewing. I have read "The Joy of Home Brewing 3rd edition" and have a culinary background so following the brewing directions is not the problem. The problem (if it can even be called that) is I am looking to fashion a recipe that will be easy yet challenge me at the same time. Here is a list of what I have:

9 lbs of light Dried Malt Extract

8 oz Kent Goldings Pellet Hops

2 oz Vanguard Whole Leaf Hops

1 package Nottingham ale yeast

1 package Safale S-33 ale yeast

I plan on buying the Steeping grains needed for whatever beer I decide upon from my local HBS as well as my 22oz bottles. I would like to include dry hopping since the beer I like can never have enough hops flavor or aroma. I am lucky that I have a friend and neighbor who will be loaning me his 9 gallon pot and the rest of his tools since his beer is all bottle aging right now. Other things I have include:

Bottle caps

Corn Sugar

Irish Moss

so what would YOU do with these ingredients? all ideas are greatly appreciated!

PS: I will be doing single fermentation in 1 of 2, 6 gallon Ale pails that are sadly empty as I write this. (and yes I will get Better Bottles after a couple batches)

You mentioned you like hoppy... Do you mean like American IPA hoppy? If so, you could grab a little crystal 40 and some Amarillo/Cascades/Centennial/etc. and some S-05 (or use the Nottingham) and make a good one.

You have Kent Goldings and Vanguard though, so if you want to use those you could make an English IPA.

I would use all of your extract, steep 1/2 lb crystal 40, 1/4 lb crystal 120, and some biscuit maybe 4-8 ounces. 2 oz of ekg at 60, 1/2oz ekg at 10, 1 oz ekg at 0, pitch nottingham.

Was just going to post an approximation of the English IPA from Brewing Classic Styles but enderwig's recipe is very close to that. That'll turn out nice, I think.

You mentioned you like hoppy... Do you mean like American IPA hoppy? If so, you could grab a little crystal 40 and some Amarillo/Cascades/Centennial/etc. and some S-05 (or use the Nottingham) and make a good one.

You have Kent Goldings and Vanguard though, so if you want to use those you could make an English IPA.

I love IPA's in general so either way would work for me, what would make an English IPA?

As a new brewer myself all I can say is you should try everything. because you never know till you taste it yourself. I don't like too much crystal in mine, 1/2 lb is enough for me. Don't be afraid to experiment with it.
I'd listen to the above posts, try it, and modify from that.

I am going to try your recipe. I will definitely let you know how it turns out and if your in San Diego you can stop by and grab a 22 anytime. Thanks for the friendly advice-

Back